Wrapper idea - LED current reducer

Started by idlefaction, August 19, 2004, 10:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

I also use super bright blue LEDs and use a lower current to drive them.

I'm always surprised how little it takes to make them glow.

mikeb

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
Well, can't argue with that! And something else to consider is the angle that you want to view the led at, the distribution of light varies A LOT, so a led that you wnat to look 'down' on, will be different from the one you want ot be able to see from a low angle across the stage.

Agreed - this is why (as I posted on the synth-diy list) I use a polishing / grinding wheel on 'super-bright' LEDs to make the clear casing more opaque so that the light is visible at greater angles. It only takes 10 or so seconds of careful work and the LED is *much* more useful as in indicator, rather than a retina-burning projector of coloured light! :)

Mike

Torchy

Best Ive used so far is an Ultra-Violet LED. Incredibly bright on full whack - puts a column of light up in a smoky club  :lol: I use a 4k7 resistor to drive em a bit lower.

I use OOOO grade wire wool to 'diffuse' the water-clear LEDs. And occasionally a small needle file to flatten the tops. HINT - making LED/LDR assemblies is way easier with a flat-top 3mm LED superglued to an LDR  :wink:

brett

QuoteHINT - making LED/LDR assemblies is way easier with a flat-top 3mm LED superglued to an LDR
Smart fella, Torchy!!  Thanks for the idea.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)