Author Topic: question relating adding distortion to the booster  (Read 12354 times)

kingnimrod

question relating adding distortion to the booster
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 10:20:42 PM »
booster all the way up, still no change in signal with the switch on. I even tried touching the ends of the diodes directly from the signal path to ground, and nothing....

If I use germanium diodes, do I just plug them in in place of these, or do I need to modify the circuit any further?

aron

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 11:11:04 PM »
Yep, just put germaniums where the Si ones were. Strange that you are not getting distortion.

kingnimrod

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2004, 11:18:12 PM »
yeah, it's driving me crazy.

could it be possibly attributed to a faulty capacitor (not driving enough power to the diodes) - would the boost still work with a faulty cap???

I am really scratching my head here - The boost seems to work with no problems, but adding or taking away the diodes has no apparent effect on the signal. What should I be testing for to see what's wrong. Diodes test fine on the multimeter.

aron

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 12:34:21 AM »
How much does it boost without the diodes???? Maybe the diodes are kicking in but you can't hear it???

kingnimrod

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 12:36:48 AM »
boost is fairly pronounced - at the top end it breaks up/distorts a bit (this was so before I thought about adding the distortion). I guess if the diode distortion were weak, maybe it gets lost in there -- but when switched on, there is no loss of volume or tone suckage of any kind.

aron

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2004, 04:01:45 AM »
Very strange. I guess put the drive so it's boosting but not distorting much. Then switch the diodes in and see if you get any distortion.

Just for fun, if you want to test the switch etc... Put a big cap in there instead of the diodes - say 22uF electro, plus side to the signal, neg to ground and when you switch it in, you should get a hugely muffled tone. This would indicate the switch works.

jayp5150

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2004, 06:24:15 PM »
king, did you ever get this to work for you?  I just built it the other day, and I think I see your problem.  Your drawing above seemed incorrect to me (sorry if I'm wrong).  

Shouldn't the diodes be connected on both ends, making them parallel?  Then you would connect one side to the signal, and the other to ground.  This creates a little "loop" with your diodes--each one will have one end to signal, one to ground (and they will be flipped from each other like you have).

That should work.  That's how I did mine, only I used four (2 on each side) to be less distorted and louder.  I also wired in one of Jack Orman's saturation controls, but this requires its own dpdt toggle to bypass--which I'm fixing tonight (I orignally had a spdt, but it did not cut it out of the signal all the way).

Hope that helps.

aron

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2004, 07:09:13 PM »
You are RIGHT! I kept looking at his picture but never noticed!!!!

It should clip - but only one side of the waveform.

Here's how the diodes should be connected. TOP LINE is signal, bottom is ground.

micro

Re: question relating adding distortion to the booster
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 09:42:06 PM »
I too am trying to add diodes to create a distortion but Im totally lost on their placement. Does anyone have a picture of what they should look like on an actual board.
Unfortunatley Aron's schem pic is Greek to me!  ???

So if they connect in a loop to each  other, which side goes to ground and which goes to signal out?

jayp5150

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »
They would literally look just like the schem that Aron posted. The signal doesn't pass through the diodes, they are bleeding some signal off to ground.

OK, in the above pic, as Aron stated, the top line is the signal out. To the left would be the signal coming from the circuit directly the output cap, and to the right would be the signal out to the jack, directly before the resistor to ground.

The bottom part is ground.

The line on the diode symbol in the schematic is the same as the line on the actual diode. Connect one diode with the line toward the signal, and the opposite side to ground, then connect the other diode exactly the opposite way.

I'm sorry, I can't think of another way to really explain it. Also, you'll really want to start trying to "get" schematics. I still can't tell exactly what the electric current is doing by looking at a schem, but you need to know what the parts are, and how to make the connections off of just a schem. Basically, you can look at most simple schems, and lay the parts out on perf almost exactly like they are on the schem.

Keep at it, let us know that it turns out.

micro

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 01:36:35 PM »
jayp5150,

Thanks, actually you made it very clear to me. I agree, I do need to learn more about schems.
 Ill let you know how it turns out. Thanks alot!

jayp5150

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »
No problem. I love when I'm actually able to help a fellow addict lol. I don't get a lot of time to devote to this anymore, so I'm still on the lower rungs of electronic knowledge.  :)