Author Topic: newbie question...  (Read 6499 times)

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« on: September 03, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »
hey.

Id just like to say that i am a complete newb.  This is my first time soldering and using resistors and such...so bear with me.

I finished the project, but i have a few problems :( .  First off, when i turn the pot, it crackles.  And second, the volume with the booster is a lot lower than my original volume when my guitars plugged directly to my amp.  

I had trouble with wiring the jacks adn wasnt exactly sure which was the sleeve, tip, and ring :? .  Which is which and which part connects to the ground, input, output, etc.?  I think this may be my problem.  

By the way, i didnt use a switch for this yet, I just ran it off the perfboard.  I think im gonna re-do it with a 3pdt switch later.  

thanks aron for the great project!

aron

newbie question...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »
Yes something doesn't sound right. Is there a way you could post a pic of the circuit? What kind of jacks did you use?

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 10:57:10 PM »
I used the jacks from radioshack.  I bought a pair of mono and a pair of stereo.  I think my problem is with my soldering on my jacks.  Plus i might've soldered the wrong wires onto the lugs.  Could you clarify which is which?

bazzwazzle

newbie question...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 11:07:32 PM »

that might help you a bit ;)

smoguzbenjamin

newbie question...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:13:56 AM »
The lug is usually opposite the connector it's, uh, connected to. If you look at the switch from the side, you'll see layers of metal and plastic alternating. If you look at which layer your tip/sleeve/ring is connected to you can also easy\ily find the lug ;) But If you're getting sound that should be OK. What would really help, as aron allready said, is a pic :)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 01:22:13 PM »
thanks for the picture!! I realized that my input and 9V wire were on the wrong lugs... :x  Mixed up the ring and tip...  I'm gonna re-solder that today and check it out.

One more question.  I've heard different things from checkin online, but when you solder onto lugs, are you supposed to wrap the wire thru the hole, or solder the wire directly over the hole?

thanks for helpin me out

Hal

newbie question...
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 02:20:37 PM »
my procedure for soldering easy to reach jacks - 22 gauge stranded copper wire.  

1.  strip / twist wire
2.  tin wire
3.  bend to about 90 degrees
4.  insert wire and crimp with pliers
5.  solder, heating the lug, and fill the entire while with solder.
6.  _sometimes_ clip the end, if it was too long.

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 08:47:10 PM »
thanks a lot!

man... ive been doin these lugs all wrong... Thanks for all the help!

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

heres the board ^  this is the other side.

Heres the pot adn the jacks.

and finally heres the whole thing

I rewired all the lugs the correct way, but i still have the same problem with the scratchy pot.  I also noticed another thing. I thought that the volume should go up when i turn the pot to the right, but instead in goes down...  It goes up when turned to the left.

sorry about the blurry pics...

can someone please help me??!!

remmelt

newbie question...
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 02:49:37 AM »
hey there. my pot is scratchy as well, but i don't really mind. i set it to one value and then leave it at that anyway.

when the volume goes down when you turn the "wrong" way, i think you swapped the two wires going to the pot! re-check those, that should do the trick.

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 11:14:32 AM »
Yea thats what i was thinking, but do i switch only the wires, or the cap also?  If i have to switch the cap too, should the negative side face the middle or outer terminal?

remmelt

newbie question...
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2004, 12:16:23 PM »
on my build, the cap is in the same position is on yours. try swapping the leads to the pot!

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2004, 08:43:49 PM »
okay, i did a few different things, but they were all unsuccessful.   :(

First, on the pot, i switched the ground and the other wire.  But I could only slightly hear the guitar.  THe pot didnt did nothing.

Next, i switched around the cap.  I put the neg. lead on the middle lug.  tHis didnt do anything either.  

Im not sure waht im supposed to do... Can anyone help?! :cry:

aron

newbie question...
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2004, 03:33:31 PM »
referencing this:

The emitter of the transistor goes to lug 3. The plus of the cap goes to the middle (lug 2). The neg of the cap and ground connects to lug 1.

aron

newbie question...
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 03:52:24 PM »
What kind of transistor did you use?

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2004, 06:34:46 PM »
Im pretty sure i used a npn 2n222 transistor

aron

newbie question...
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2004, 06:37:16 PM »
OK, can you give me the readings on the following:

Your battery.
Each leg of the transistor. (Put red on leg, black on ground).
Set the meter to DC.

Thanks,

Aron

frkystyly36

newbie question...
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004, 01:58:46 PM »
i dont have a multimeter handy yet, but i think that i might just do it over again since i just received some 3pdt switches in the mail.  
But i'm going to keep my original one so i can see what was wrong with it.