whos built the Double D ?-opinion

Started by jimbob, July 09, 2005, 11:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Anyone other than the German guy on ebay build this yet. Looks interesting but i was wondering if it would have anough distortion. i need something that goes from a overdrive to a strong distortion.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

MartyMart

I think that RDV has built that one ?
I have not, but if its anything like the Tech21 "Double Drive"? then it should sound great !!
WGTP's "Distron Thrust" will get you everything from "mild OD" to full on
"Shred"   :twisted:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Alex C

I built it a while ago on the breadboard, and I had to "make" some components with near-enough values by combining them in series or parallel, so keep that in mind.  I found the level of gain available to be very high, and the tone was "searing", grinding, and thick at the same time (I know none of these words mean anything).  I was able to palm mute well, which is something I have trouble doing with most DIY distortion circuits (except the BSAIB II).  On the "jiggle" channel, there was a nice blues sound available, with light-to medium gain.  I suppose it was "sparkly" as well.

I'm not good at describing sounds, so I'll stop here.  I liked the two-channel design, and was pleased with the sound of both.  The only problems I had were typical of high-gain breadboard builds (unshielded, wires everywhere, etc.).  I was waiting for an enclosure to box it up, and while waiting I ended up scavenging components from it and forgetting about it.  I'll have to whip one up again and test more.  

I'd recommend it, and I would say that it will very likely have enough gain, and you can definitely achieve "strong distortion".

jimbob

thanks all.
QuoteWGTP's "Distron Thrust"
wheres that at? Sounds interesting.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

smoguzbenjamin

Well, I built the thing and it was my neatest perfboard build yet, however I haven't got round to hooking it up and using it ;) After my hols (yes, I'm using the camping's WiFi connection in France  :twisted: ) I'll be hooking it up though so I'll let you know what it sounds like if you have about three to four week's patience ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

donald stringer

It is a worthwhile build to be certain, the jiggle side works great good tone lots of vol. but I made the mistake of putting a 3 band tone on the bounce side and somehow messed up the tone somewhat.[this was my mistake not the perf layout. Imay go back and take the tone control out of the picture. If you build like the layout it will work....just a side note after I got the circuit working I utilized an cd4066/cd4049ube and an red green led to toggle between the two.
troublerat