Funny "MOJO" stuff

Started by Joe Hart, September 11, 2004, 10:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hart

He everyone, I'm trying to come up with a list of all the funny "mojo" magic things that there are surrounding the world of stompboxes (I do not want to debate their merits -- that's been done to death -- just a listing of them). Here's some that I can think of right now...

Carbon Comp Resistors
Silver Solder
Tropical Fish Caps
The 4558 Chip

Anything else??
-Joe Hart

Joe Hart

Oh, yeah. And Ceramic Capacitors sound "gritty" and may be good in distortion circuits.
-Joe Hart

toneman

one-of-a-kind paint jobs.

"hand wired", no etching chemicals.
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Torchy

Anything that starts with "Tubescreamer" ...

puretube

add a (mini-) tube for a little warmth!

Fret Wire

Batteries
Germanium Transistors
Sound Enhancing Knobs
Gold Plated Contacts
Oxygen Depleted Cables
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

LinuxMan

Quote from: Fret Wire
Sound Enhancing Knobs
:shock:  
Are you sure you didn't make this one up on your own?

Cheers
LM

Gilles C

Quote from: Fret WireBatteries
Germanium Transistors
Sound Enhancing Knobs
Gold Plated Contacts
Oxygen Depleted Cables

Not any batteries, ...carbon batteries.

Re: http://www.tonequest.com/articles/article24.htm near the end of the article.

My fav mojo... I should add: discrete sounds better than op-amps  :wink:

Gilles

Oh, some other mojos,

True bypass
Connect Fender or Gibson guitars only, nothing else sounds good with your diy effects.

Nasse

• SUPPORTER

travissk

808 / "SRV in a box". The 4558 must be a vintage JRC chip used back in the day. A modern TI version (and anything else you can get new) has anti-mojo and will set your playing back three years.

I'd go so far as to say the manufacturer's name contributes to the mojo. It seems a lot of players wouldn't be caught dead with a danelectro or dod pedal, and a boss is only acceptable after having at least three big-name mods done to it ("Keeley").

Finally, ridiculous prices. If a TubeScreamer costs $500, then it -must- have something supernatural. Otherwise... what'd I pay $500 for? :D

The sound-enhancing knobs are no joke; someone is selling them to the audiophile crowd. I can't imagine there is much success, but hey...

Fret Wire

Quote from: LinuxMan
Quote from: Fret Wire
Sound Enhancing Knobs
:shock:  
Are you sure you didn't make this one up on your own?

Cheers
LM

Where have you been hiding? You have been living a sheltered life! :D  This has been a running joke here for awhile. You should buy these for your next silver soldered, vintage JRC4558 equipped, Tubescreamer! You will play like SRV or Jimi instantly! :roll:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

LinuxMan

I wonder why it slipped my attention ;)...

At least I know what to do for my next TS clone... :)

Cheers
LM

Hal

point to point wireing
TRUE BYPASS (in some cases)
switchcraft jacks
metal film resistors

I guess the last couple have "modern mojo", not "vintage mojo"

I used to lurk HCFX a little, until i caught a thread that said "how would changing the LED on an effect to blue effect my tone"  and they weren't talking about an LED/LDR combo or a clipping diode - they were talking about the indicator.  

so i guess blue led mojo

puretube

LinuxMan

Quote from: Halpoint to point wireing
TRUE BYPASS (in some cases)
switchcraft jacks
metal film resistors

I guess the last couple have "modern mojo", not "vintage mojo"

I used to lurk HCFX a little, until i caught a thread that said "how would changing the LED on an effect to blue effect my tone"  and they weren't talking about an LED/LDR combo or a clipping diode - they were talking about the indicator.  

so i guess blue led mojo

This goes well with my other post. So switchcraft jacks are no different
than any others of the same type? As for example these.

Cheers
LM

cd

The reliability/contact merits of Switchcraft jacks can be debated to death, but they have a very nice "feel" that is NOT bunk IMHO.  A plug goes in and comes out easily, and is held in just the right position, even if you try to push in too far.  The cheapo jacks I use (which are like 1/3 the price) have a nastier chrome coating and grip a plug like crazy, but go funny when you push in too far and are more of a pain to pull a plug out of.

Ge_Whiz

1960s PVC-insulated wire that comes in a variety of rather dull, pastel colours and strips to reveal grey wires. Instant mojo.

Paul Marossy

Silver wire. Some people out there are making amps with silver wire because "it's 7% less resistive than copper". While this is true, it doesn't amount to anything in a wire that is 6 or 8 inches long. If we were talking long distances and voltage drop was a concern, maybe. But in a guitar amp?! C'mon now.

Jason Stout

Three silly letters.....

N.O.S.
Jason Stout