Funny "MOJO" stuff

Started by Joe Hart, September 11, 2004, 10:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonestarjohnny

you guy's skipped the 2 most famous Texas Mojo tone secret's, The Rubber Band, and dying Battery's, now there's 2 that have been beat to death,  :lol:  and not to forget how to burn your amp up, The Variac !  :shock:
Johnny

Paul Marossy

Can it be any old rubber band or does Eric Johnson have to put it on himself?  :lol:

I wonder how many Marshalls wailin' Halen fried with a variac...

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

cd

Quote from: travisskIt seems a lot of players wouldn't be caught dead with a danelectro or dod pedal, and a boss is only acceptable after having at least three big-name mods done to it ("Keeley").

Oooh, good one.  Does anyone else find it ridiculously moronic to pump $75+  (or more!!  I know someone who spend $175 on a BD-2) in mods to a <$50 pedal?  Well, whatever $$ it takes to get you your tone, that's all that matters I suppose.

Fret Wire

Perf board in a $300 boutique pedal.
Twist wiring your ps lines like the heater wiring in amps to give the illusion your pedal is quieter. Does look neat though.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

sir_modulus

personally, I think SOME danelectro stuff and things liek that are okay. Just pot the in a 1590B or whatever, and it's at least decent for the price.

I disagree with the metal films and switchcraft jacks as being said to be "funny mojo". Switchcrafts or other closed jacks sound much better than my crappy jacks. These are Rat schack brand, and don't solder at all!!! The Switchcrafts are more mechanically sound, and end up being easier to solder, and soldering cleanly, intead of with HUGE cold solder blobs. Metal films are also quiet when it comes to high gain circuits etc... I don't really find them funny MOJO. Carbon comps are though. You need a crap load of voltage going through them to get some tone outa them, and thats just a Teeensy bit.

Thats just my opinion, so don't take it to seriously.

Nish

Fret Wire

Watch, in a month, some lurker will use all our humorous examples in one ad to sell pedals on Ebay. He make millions. :shock:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Gilles C

The metal is thicker in higher quality jacks like Switchcraft.

And the plating looks thicker too.

So this could mean better contacts.

A friend of mine had to replace the jack of his homemade Strat a couple of times because it was loosening all the time, and after screwing it tighter a few times, the switch would fall apart.

After I told him to get better switches (a few bucks each in place of 2 for a buck), which he did, he never had to change it anymore. I still have the original in mine (a Switchcraft) and we built our guitars around the same time.

Gilles

jrc4558

Quote from: puretubechickenhead knobs !

You said it, man!!!

Oh god, a friend bought two for $10 canadian here at the store. Now He has a dunlop fuzz-face (REISSUE!!!) with those vintage-shmintage knobs.
They look kinda good. But every krishna-damn boutique pedal has those!
Where's originality?

Peter Snowberg

How 'bout speaker wire with colored thread over rubber scavenged from a nuclear missile guidance system.  :P
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

travissk

First, I'd like to note I wasn't bashing on Mr. Keeley or anyone else who mods pedals up there. Modding certainly improves a pedal's tone or versatility. It's just that many players seem to go with mob mentality and won't even try anything stock without shipping it off for some parts changes and a blue LED

Quote from: sir_moduluspersonally, I think SOME danelectro stuff and things liek that are okay. Just pot the in a 1590B or whatever, and it's at least decent for the price.

My Dod Classic Fuzz and Juice Box are excellent pedals for what you can pick them up for ($20-30). I've been thinking of tracing them out so they can be built with better components and without those cheap switches. I'd hazard the Juice Box would then sound better than many $150 overdrive pedals.

Quote from: Peter SnowbergHow 'bout speaker wire with colored thread over rubber scavenged from a nuclear missile guidance system. Razz

That's a new one (unless I've missed something crazy :)); I think you might be onto a great marketing strategy:

"It's common knowledge that Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and SRV were known to jam together near nuclear waste dumps--the radiation did strange and wonderful things to their gear. Now you can get the elusive tone of these three masters (at the same time!) quickly and easily, and at no health risk, with our new radioactive guitar cables! They'll turn your Squier Strat and 1x10 Crate Practice amp into a howling, screaming rock 'n roll setup!"

moritz

shielded cable anyone?  :o

cd

Quote from: more_beershielded cable anyone?  :o

Definitely not.  Shielded wire can be a great help in a high gain circuit or one with a pesky leaky LFO.

Joe Hart

Wow, I really opened up a can of worms here! Interesting. I'm trying to build a pedal and I was wondering how much "crap" I could toss into it to capture that secret special tone! Interesting...
-Joe Hart

Mark Hammer

I'm gonna say ANY boo-teek, limited-run, distortion pedal that claims to nail some classic sound irrespective of the instrument played, the pickups, speakers and amp used, and all the other stuff in the signal chain.

David

AL

David

David

Arno van der Heijden

"Important: Always coat the complete top surface of a device. Do not partially coat a surface, else you may end up in a mess of non-correlated overtones, and the result will not sound as intended." :mrgreen:

"Attention: Experience has shown, that power transistors in certain circuit topologies CAN over-react to Altmann “Tube-o-lator" lacquer. Over-reaction will lead to a dumb sound (that will make you feel sick), because too many overtones are filtered"

Whoehahahaha.... a dumb sound.... this is too much!!!...  :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: