Pot "G" taper (20k G)

Started by jsleep, August 31, 2003, 06:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsleep

G = Graphic (EQ)??? is this correct?  

I'm referring to the tone control on a TS-808.  I'm doing some experimenting with the tone control on the 808 (clone).  The smoothest taper I've been able to get is with a 25k log pot wired backwards.  This leaves the treble on CCW, but the transition from treble to bass is the smoothest I've been able to get.   SOOO...it would seem to me that the "G" taper is somewhat similar to reverse log.  Does anyone have any info on this?

I've also tried various resistors between the lugs of a 25k linear pot, but have had no luck at all with that.  Again, just trying to even out the control from treble to bass thru the rotation of the pot.  

Any comments or info would be very much appreciated.

Side Bar:  The tone control on my factory TS-9 is even good rotation, but overall, is not a very good tone control.  Anyone know Is this true for all/most versions of the TS? I've always guessed that it is true. (i know this is somewhat a matter of opinion)

Thanks,
JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Joep

Rob Strand posted some information on the G-taper, on the old forum.

It is indeed a special tapper for equalizer applications if I remember well.

Rob Strand

Yep it's true the original is a G-taper.  Here's the details of the G-taper (actually from the old thread):
"The G taper is a symetrical taper with 50% resistance at 50% rotation, ~10% resistance at 30% rotation and ~90% resistance at 70% rotation. "

With a G or linear taper pot the centre position on the TS-9 has some treble cut.  This isn't anything to do with the pot taper it's because of the extra cap on the opamp + input.  With the pot at 12'Oclock the treble control is mostly out of the picture and only the low-pass filter remains.  It's worth pointing out, changing the pot taper doesn't change the available responses from the TS-9, the rotation position where a response occurs just moves.

With the reverse connected log pot the the 12'O clock position is actually producing some treble boost in the EQ circuit which counteracts the roll-off of the fixed low-pass filter.  From that I guess you find the built-in roll-off too much - sometimes I find that too.  There's no real answer of course, it's all a matter of preference.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.