Boss TR-2 Tremolo - Got Mods?

Started by O, September 17, 2004, 12:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

I want to introduce myself before I start asking for help. My name is Oscar and I'm a Network Security geek but I also play guitar and fondle guitar pedals in my spare time. I'm handy with a soldering iron and my most recent "build" was a TS that someone used a fork to change chips. I got it all fixed up and it sounds really good (I modded the pedal back to TS-808).

Formalities aside, I wanted to ask this. For father's day (soon to be anyway), my wife gave me a Boss TR-2 tremolo pedal. Now, I know that this pedal has potential (and surprisingly, the Dano Tuna Melt actually sounds better IMO). I experience a huge amount of volume drop when I engage it. Are there any mods that I could do to fix this? I can somewhat read a schematic, so anything like that (or in diagram form, or heck, even pictures) would help. I'm in a bind because I don't want her to know that I modded it (she would probably be upset) so I can't add a gazillion pots and switches to it, I need it to look stock.

OT, I noticed that people were wanting a CS-3 schematic... I just picked up a pedal on eBay and I would be willing to post pics for the real gurus out there to diagram it.

Thanks y'all... :D

cd

The CS3 issue was cracked a few days ago, scroll down for the schem.

As for the TR2, that nut has never been cracked before (I don't think a schem circulates) so if you can post big clear pictures of the top and bottom of the PCB - excellent!

O

Hmm... ok, I'll take some pics of the TR2 and post them. So I assume since the TR2 hasn't been messed with, there aren't as many mods out there?  :?

gez

If it's just volume drop then it's probably a trivial matter to correct it.  But, as has been pointed out, without a schematic (or pics and people willing to do the work of reverse engineering it) it's difficult to offer advice.  

Maybe someone here has one and you might get lucky...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MartyMart

Here's a TR-2 mod to recover some volume and other goodies :

Change R9 from 10k to 4.7k or even 3.3k for more vol
C7 remove for a slight "high end" lift
R31 is 50k and controls the speed of the trem, lower it to go faster baby!
R19 is 10k, reducing this changes the waveform, so be careful ! but its a fun thing to try.
I think the input resistor ( R2 ?) is 1m, but if its lower like a lot of Boss pedals such as 470k or 510k  just up the value to 680k or so for better signal through the circuit, even when bypassed.
Hope that helps, let me know.
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

O

Holy Moses!  :shock:

I can't wait to get home to ty that... Thanks Marty!

MartyMart

O, be very very careful, as its sooo easy to "burn" Boss circuit boards and destroy a very nice pedal !
Make sure that you get the iron nice and warmed up and dont spend too long on any solder pad, they have a habit of "lifting off" if they get too hot.
You have been warned !!
Its happened to me twice and i've modded about 50 pedals so far.
Enjoy,
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

O

I have a 30w iron that I use to mod the guitars/pedals I own. I've got the solder wick and the rest of the necessary materials, so hopefully, it will go smoother than having to make wire jumpers for the yanked JRC chip in the TS-9.

brrt

I've got a schematic of the TR-2. PM me if you like to have me email it to you!
Stinkfoot (http://www.stinkfoot.se/english/mods/tr2mod_en.htm) has modded the TR-2 by tweaking R9 and removing C7, just like Marty said...

Brrt

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMartHere's a TR-2 mod to recover some volume and other goodies :

Change R9 from 10k to 4.7k or even 3.3k for more vol
C7 remove for a slight "high end" lift
R31 is 50k and controls the speed of the trem, lower it to go faster baby!
R19 is 10k, reducing this changes the waveform, so be careful ! but its a fun thing to try.
I think the input resistor ( R2 ?) is 1m, but if its lower like a lot of Boss pedals such as 470k or 510k  just up the value to 680k or so for better signal through the circuit, even when bypassed.
Hope that helps, let me know.
Marty. 8)

Funny -- that is the EXACT modification that I have on my diy kits at http://www.guitartone.net/  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :x

-- Please do not post those anywhere.

cd

MartyMart

Wampcat1 wrote:

"Funny -- that is the EXACT modification that I have on my diy kits at http://www.guitartone.net/      
Please do not post those anywhere". :?

Details for hundreds of mods for Boss/Ibanez/MXR  etc etc, are on the net and sometimes even posted up by kind folks like Robert Keeley,  thats a well documented one,  go have a look........ oh sorry but you already did that    !!!   :D

Marty.

wampcat1

Quote from: cdWhy isn't your username indyguitarist.com?
Well, before I started my business, I posted on the old diystompboxes forum as wampcat, so I just kept my old name! :D

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMartWampcat1 wrote:

"Funny -- that is the EXACT modification that I have on my diy kits at http://www.guitartone.net/      
Please do not post those anywhere". :?

Details for hundreds of mods for Boss/Ibanez/MXR  etc etc, are on the net and sometimes even posted up by kind folks like Robert Keeley,  thats a well documented one,  go have a look........ oh sorry but you already did that    !!!   :D

Marty.

Yep, that's true, and that's their business. I would prefer NOT to have my mods posted, however. If you would like free mods then simply send an email to info@guitartone.net and you'll be immediately emailed a link to the members area, which has some of my mods, and a free ebook on how to get the best tone out of your effects -- with suggested settings and such.

Thanks,
Brian

MartyMart

OK cool, my appologies wampcat, i did'nt realize that was your mod  i dont have any guitartone.com mods that i'm aware of.

Regards,
Marty.

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMartOK cool, my appologies wampcat, i did'nt realize that was your mod  i dont have any guitartone.com mods that i'm aware of.

Regards,
Marty.

Not a problem, Marty -- check your pm ;)

Thanks,
Brian

O

I took some pics and they are here

If more people can mirror them, I would appreciate it since the bandwidth is limited on my account. I'll start working on a parts list, it should be posted here by this weekend.

If there is a certain pic/angle/part you need photographed, just let me know.

Have fun! :)

MartyMart

O, how did the mod go ?
I seem to have got in "trouble" over it as its very close to wampcats mod, which he sells as part of a "kit"  so keep it quiet !!
I'm going to work on a version with a "dual concentric" pot to offer a volume control as well as speed.
Let me know how it sounds.
By the way if anyone is interested, the "Dan Electro Tuna Melt" tremolo is a great little unit, and V cheap  it does'nt seem to have a volume loss problem, so the LFO must be cycling above "normal" output volume.
Regards,
Marty. 8)

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMartO, how did the mod go ?
I seem to have got in "trouble" over it as its very close to wampcats mod, which he sells as part of a "kit"  so keep it quiet !!
I'm going to work on a version with a "dual concentric" pot to offer a volume control as well as speed.
Let me know how it sounds.
By the way if anyone is interested, the "Dan Electro Tuna Melt" tremolo is a great little unit, and V cheap  it does'nt seem to have a volume loss problem, so the LFO must be cycling above "normal" output volume.
Regards,
Marty. 8)

Hi Marty - honestly, I apologize if I offended you -- I shouldn't have assumed it was mine. You have to admit though, it was nearly identical, wasn't it?! Did you check out the link for the diy kit I sent you?

Thanks,
Brian

MartyMart

No problem  8)

Since it was almost exactly the same, there was no need to download it !!

I'm still trying to improve things a little more, i've noticed a drop in high end too, which i can't solve right now, cap "tweaking" i think !!
Marty.