"double" envelope follower?

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), September 18, 2004, 08:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Thinking about those "wave multiplier" type circuits, wher you put a triangle wave in & hgalf way up it folds over, effectively doubling the frequency... well if you had the levels right & ran the output from an envelope follower in, then you could make an autowah that had an "unusual" behavior.
Maybe a knob to gradually bring it in, from 'normal' to 'double' (or more).

Jason Stout

I'm imagining the effect would sound like a "hiccup”, definitely different!
Jason Stout

StephenGiles

I have mucked about with irregular envelopes till the cows come home, and almost without exception auto wahs driven thusly sounded awful (to my ears) - but from a novelty point of view of course, anything goes and it would certainly sound flash in a guitar shop!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Well here's another angle, use the envelope to control the level of a LFO (at say 4Hz). Then the resulting LFO can control a wah or tremolo, so that the depth of the effect is modulated by signal intensity. That might be musical enough!

StephenGiles

Yes, I did that with my Frog filter + Rat, which was an adaptation of the Bi Filter Follower. The result was a magnificent Robin Trower sound.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".