PS problem (pics and schem inside)

Started by Zero the hero, September 20, 2004, 07:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

I've built another PS for the Maestro Ring Modulator, and this one should replace the old one on GGG.
I got a problem with it: I used standard 7815 and 7915 to obtain regulated bipolar supply. When I measure the tensions of the positive side of the supply I read +15.12 V. When I measure the negative side of the PS I read -25 V.
I had the same problem with another schem and layout of the one I posted.
I measure everything with no load on the PS (i.e. the main board of the ring mod is not connected to the supply).
Here are the pics:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v368/zero_thehero/electronics/
I double checked everything, since I've built this circuit twice with different regulators...
I'm stuck!!!

spongebob

Quote from: Zero the hero
I measure everything with no load on the PS (i.e. the main board of the ring mod is not connected to the supply).
Some regulators need a certain load to function correctly, try connecting a load resistor (1k?) from each rail to ground and measure again.

Other than that, I can't see any errors with the ps schematic, layout looks fine too.

mikeb

I can't see any errors either, the circuit is almost exactly the same as the bipolar supply I use for the infinitphase. I checked the layout and the pinouts of the voltage regulators - no problems there. Hmmmm.

Mike

Zero the hero

Thanks for the replies!
I haven't connected the main board cause I was afraid to burn something on it, and you know how rare is an MC1495...
I'll try to put a couple of 10k loads on each side of the PS.
Another idea I got just now is to read both side of the PS at the same time, with two different DMMs...
I'll keep you informed.

niftydog

measure the input voltages to the regulators as well. This will give you an idea if they are working or not.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Zero the hero

Thanks a lot people!
Now everything's working fine. I tried to put a couple of 33kohm resistors as a dummy load, but with the same result.
I changed the load resistors to 1.5k and now I got +-15 v regulated.
It's time to finish another ring mod!