Little gem amp

Started by Willthebold, August 31, 2003, 05:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willthebold

Can anyone tell me what the resistor values and cap values are?  All I have are the numbers and I need to know uF,pF or ohms or K on the parts.  Thanks.

Peter Snowberg

The resistors are all in ohms and the caps are all in microfarads.

100 Ohms
10 Ohms
5,000 Ohm Linear Taper pot
25 Ohms
.047uF  (or 47nF)
.01uF   (or 10nF)
100uF
220uF

That's it. Good luck. I think you'll like the results if you like distortion.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

hardi_ami

that's easy (although I admit it's always better when values are written, the nasa wouldn't have lost a satellite this way  :lol: )

for a resistor the default unit is ohm, so 100 means 100 ohms
for a cap, the default unit is microfarad (uF), so 100 means 100uF

for the pot, 5kL means 5kohm linear (no use for a log pot for gain) ... but using the letter L is stupid, anyway :)

Peter Snowberg

IMHO, that pot should labeled "5KB". The B stands for linear. Once you get into other tapers besides regular audio (5KA), I don't know what happens to the letters.

Another way values are written is...

100R = 100 Ohms
6K8 = 6.8 K Ohms
10K0 = 10.0 K Ohms

22n0 = 22nf = .022uF

That does away with decimal places. :)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Willthebold

Thanks for the help guys.  That's what I was thinking, but I just needed someone to confirm it.  Thanks again.

RDV

Those values work well for a really distorted version, but I wanted one to use clean so I could run my various DIY distortions in front of it. I had to reduce the input cap value to .0047uF to get what I wanted along with inserting a J-Fet buffer to increase the input impedance so it would work well with effects. If anyone would like my modified schematic for this(with new values & components), just eMail me.

Regards

RDV

brett

Hi.  You might want to check out my pale blue box (PBB) amp.  It's very small, and good and it's here: http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~jethro.dog/gallery.html

Have fun!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

hardi_ami

Brett, how does your PBB sound compared to the little gem ? less distorted ? less noise ? louder ? And what's the role of the input buffer ?

Thanks
Michael