News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Fuzz factory

Started by Atk, November 18, 2004, 02:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurco

Quote from: JHSThe schems in the German forum were postet by me.

No credits to ZV at all !!!!!

JHS

What a way to win friends, gain an enemy, and lose respect!

EdJ

In my opinion when someone asks you not  to post something that belongs to him you simply don`t post it.No matter what.
Again look through the archives.
Ed

moogatroid2000

QuoteIn my opinion when someone asks you not to post something that belongs to him you simply don`t post it.No matter what.

But there is nothing wrong with posting a link to a datasheet or a an app note.
Let's see the German data sheet. I been looking at german google and can't find it yet.
:roll:
live and learn.

Brian Marshall

Quote from: gez
Quote from: JHSBut I'm not unfair, so I don't post a schem of the Nanohead (if you want to klone it, make a web-search and find ZV's source by yourself, put the snipplets together and you get it)

Er, that's how most circuits are designed. Basic building blocks are used to create a whole. There's only so many ways you can do a lot of things in electronics so stock circuits act as a template.  It takes knowledge to understand, interpret and implement those basic building blocks and the end product is still a result of someone’s hard work.  If that person wishes to protect their circuit to ensure they continue to make a living, so be it.

Sure, every clod who knows how to use a soldering iron is setting themselves up as a 'boutique' builder these days, but could they design something from scratch or do they understand enough about the subject to custom build something for a customer?

The majority of 'boutique' builders make me laugh as they're no better than someone selling fake Rolex watches from the boot of a car.  The only difference being that their Boss/MXR/whatever copy (not even a clone) is more expensive than the original...weird!  I thought 'boutique' meant unique??  Stupid me...

Zachary is one of the few who genuinely deserve the title.  I don't really care if his booster is similar/copy of a standard design, the majority of his stuff isn't.

Well the stuff i make is for the most part original (although not earth shattering... no flux capacitors or anything) and i do post the schematics here most of the time.  I dont like the word boutique... it sounds pretentious, but sometimes 'unique' doesnt always apply to the circuit its self.  Zvex boxes certainly look different than anyone elses stuff available commercially. Also if you ask Z what is going on in a given pedal he will usually give you an explaination.

I hope you dont think that I'm selling fake rolexes.  I have some stuff I'm working on that is different from anything i know of that is commercially availble.

gez

Quote from: Brian MarshallI hope you dont think that I'm selling fake rolexes.  I have some stuff I'm working on that is different from anything i know of that is commercially availble.

I admire any 'boutiquers' who design, or at least know how to design, circuits from the ground up...

I wish I'd never contributed to this thread.  I won't be replying any further
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Aharon

The interesting thing is to watch as people take sides,it's almost tribal,very territorial,sort of like a pissing contest.
Then the moral/ethic card comes into play.
Don't get bent out of shape,relax.

Aharon
Aharon

bobbletrox

Quote from: EdJIn my opinion when someone asks you not  to post something that belongs to him you simply don`t post it.No matter what.
Again look through the archives.
Ed

Except technically, Zvex doesn't "own" it.  If he thinks his effects are unique, he should get a patent - because that's the proper avenue for the protection of original ideas.

The posting of Zvex schematics on the internet isn't an ethical question at all, and the defense that "9 people's livelihoods depend on it" is bunk in my opinion because Zvex and his employees willingly entered into the marketplace, and in doing so, willingly excepted all the risk involved in operating a business.  Sure, it's polite to refrain from posting Zvex schematics because Zachary's a nice guy, but make no mistake about it, the public is under no obligation, ethical or otherwise, to keep Zachary's designs a secret.  He knew this when he filled out the business registration papers.

I'm not disrespecting anyone, I'm merely pointing out the realities of business...and there are markets that are WAY more cut throat than effects who'd probably chuckle to themselves over these so called "ethical dilemmas".

petemoore

Don't allow me to totally derail this thread by asking 2 questions:
 Who [of those who responded], has built and modded the Rocket, a three transistor Fuzz? Thanks to all who contributed to it's design, including Mr. Ohm, and all who contribute here.
 " I heard a Big Muff once..."
 Note on the Rocket, tonights build / firing of the beautifully hot sounding circuit seemed to take off better with different transistors using a trimpot [25k] on Q2's collector.
 Mods I tried...
 output cap .1uf - .47uf
 input cap  .1uf - 2.2uf
 Q2 Emitter bypass cap  10uf [Brite] - 53uf [Thikk]
 I omitted the tone section and carefully chose a cap value to ground there.
 Also omitted was the cap after the gain knob, there are a couple more optional caps also...the one across the PS resistor, and I think there may have been another 'redudnant mojo' cap in there also.
 ...Superb Sounds in a very Tunable FF type circuit.
 High Gainers are preferred IME, transistors [including the buffer] can alter the tone, dont' forget to rebias.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bobbletrox

I don't know why you'd want to clone a Zvex pedal anyway since they're available retail.  You'd think people would rather build a circuit that no one  can buy from the store.

It's also funny that it's always the SHO and Fuzz Factory getting reverse engineered, and they're probably be the most boring of choices when you think of all the other pedals Zvex makes.  Are the Machine, Mammoth, Seeks, Probes ect too tricky for these guys work out or something?

zachary vex

The SHO-schem is identical to a sample-schem in the BS170 datasheet, identical to a schem in a russian electronik book from early '80, identical to schems in tutorials at German universities since '75.

The FF-schem can be found nearly 1:1 in that russian book too, ex. pot for stab and gate, also in Brocelli's Cookbook.

So, what's the hack?

To me it's just a joke, that a manufacturer copy a schem from a book or a datasheet, add a (C) and tell everone that's his "invention".

But I'm not unfair, so I don't post a schem of the Nanohead
(if you want to klone it, make a web-search and find ZV's source by yourself, put the snipplets together and you get it).

BTW: You can find a very improoved version of the BS170-datascheet sample at a nearly every German university - build this instead.

JHS

bah.  this is total fiction.  the use of the BS170 as an audio amplifier was relatively unknown until i developed the SHO circuit.  i developed it without the aid of a datasheet.  it was me and the BS170 and a radio snack experimenter's socket and a handful of parts.  all i wanted was something that would let me get way above 1M input impedance and give me a lot of variable gain, so i could let people have incredibly high headroom at low gain settings with a super glassy sound, and a really loud boost with asymmetrical distortion at the other end of the gain knob.  every time  i read about this BS170 datasheet bullshit i laugh my ass off.  it's TOTAL fiction.

the fuzz factory was developed by me in the middle of the night at my kitchen table.  it doesn't exist anywhere, in any form, in any schematic, in any way, before i created the circuit 9 years ago.

this guy is a total troll.  bwahahahahahaha.  what a worthless schmuck.

petemoore

For the record Zach has just told us how the FF was designed.
 Very Good !!
 It's those RS sockets !!! They're excellent tutors.
 Got a question? ask 'The Sockets'... :shock:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ragtime8922

Get 'em Zachary!!! YEAH!!!

DDD

Hi all,
Hi Zachary,

There are some questions:

Could you please explain why 99% of the guitar world is crazy about Fuzz Factory?
What do people like in the FF? Do they like its sound or its name or famous Z.Vex label or its price or something else?
Is it possible to emulate FF sound with some other circuitry or FF schematic is just a Holy Grail?
Are there anybody who don't like FF and why?
Should we continue our efforts to find the FF schematic?  :-)

With true respect,
DDD
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Maneco

Well,i'm a big MUSE fan,and you can hear on many of their songs a FF pushed to the limits...and i love those sounds...sinthy...self oscillating...pay a listen to Absolution CD and be amazed...
Greetings to Mr. Vex

coreybox

Ya, it is pretty odd the sho and ff are the only pedals people try to get schematics for. I bet its just because they are the pedals in highest demand, and are a logically place to start in the zvex pedal line.  i also think that the people that buy his pedals, are also the people most against posting his schematics. Personally i would like to see more out there (like the octane) just to see how it differs from some other octavias.

corey

Benjamin

Quote from: zachary vex

The SHO-schem is identical to a sample-schem in the BS170 datasheet, identical to a schem in a russian electronik book from early '80, identical to schems in tutorials at German universities since '75.

The FF-schem can be found nearly 1:1 in that russian book too, ex. pot for stab and gate, also in Brocelli's Cookbook.

So, what's the hack?

To me it's just a joke, that a manufacturer copy a schem from a book or a datasheet, add a (C) and tell everone that's his "invention".

(if you want to klone it, make a web-search and find ZV's source by yourself, put the snipplets together and you get it).

BTW: You can find a very improoved version of the BS170-datascheet sample at a nearly every German university - build this instead.

JHS

bah.  this is total fiction.  the use of the BS170 as an audio amplifier was relatively unknown until i developed the SHO circuit.  i developed it without the aid of a datasheet.  it was me and the BS170 and a radio snack experimenter's socket and a handful of parts.  all i wanted was something that would let me get way above 1M input impedance and give me a lot of variable gain, so i could let people have incredibly high headroom at low gain settings with a super glassy sound, and a really loud boost with asymmetrical distortion at the other end of the gain knob.  every time  i read about this BS170 datasheet bullshit i laugh my ass off.  it's TOTAL fiction.

the fuzz factory was developed by me in the middle of the night at my kitchen table.  it doesn't exist anywhere, in any form, in any schematic, in any way, before i created the circuit 9 years ago.

No, he isn't a worthless schmuck. He has a valid point. Your fuzz factory is just a slightly modded Fuzz Face, as well as the Gagan skyripper, for all its differences, comes down to the same basic pedal. I really enjoy my fuzz factory, but I will admit I reverse engineered it, and rebuilt one to my own tastes. I still have a purchased version, but to claim your circuit is unique, incredible, etc... is disingenous at best. It is an elegant circuit, but nothing special.

tomtom

QuotePersonally i would like to see more out there (like the octane) just to see how it differs from some other octavias.

The Octane is a slightly tweaked Superfuzz but in a smart kind of way.
I have several old Superfuzz alike boxes (univox, Micafuzz and such) and its by far the best sounding one, quite violent but précise too.

coreybox

superfuzz eh? im not really familiar with that...... nor do i know how to 'tweak in a smart way' lol. can you direct me to some superfuzz schems? maybe shed some light on how the octane differs from some known schematics? thanks alot!

corey

zachary vex

Quote from: Benjamin
Quote from: zachary vex

So, what's the hack?

JHS

No, he isn't a worthless schmuck. He has a valid point. Your fuzz factory is just a slightly modded Fuzz Face, as well as the Gagan skyripper, for all its differences, comes down to the same basic pedal. I really enjoy my fuzz factory, but I will admit I reverse engineered it, and rebuilt one to my own tastes. I still have a purchased version, but to claim your circuit is unique, incredible, etc... is disingenous at best. It is an elegant circuit, but nothing special.

1] he has no valid points.
2]  i made no such claim.