News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Fuzz factory

Started by Atk, November 18, 2004, 02:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

Quote from: tomtom
QuotePersonally i would like to see more out there (like the octane) just to see how it differs from some other octavias.

The Octane is a slightly tweaked Superfuzz but in a smart kind of way.
I have several old Superfuzz alike boxes (univox, Micafuzz and such) and its by far the best sounding one, quite violent but précise too.

the octane is not a tweaked Superfuzz.  the octane is a tweaked apollo fuzz (shin ei).  if the superfuzz is similar to the octane, it's because shin ei manufactured univox stuff as well.  8^)

Mark Hammer

Apollo Fuzz?  Now THAT is lineage, my friend!  I love mine.

puretube

Quote from: zachary vex
Quote from: Benjamin
Quote from: JHSThe schems in the German forum were postet by me.

No credits to ZV at all !!!!!

The SHO-schem is identical to a sample-schem in the BS170 datasheet, identical to a schem in a russian electronik book from early '80, identical to schems in tutorials at German universities since '75.

The FF-schem can be found nearly 1:1 in that russian book too, ex. pot for stab and gate, also in Brocelli's Cookbook.

So, what's the hack?

To me it's just a joke, that a manufacturer copy a schem from a book or a datasheet, add a (C) and tell everone that's his "invention".

But I'm not unfair, so I don't post a schem of the Nanohead
(if you want to klone it, make a web-search and find ZV's source by yourself, put the snipplets together and you get it).

BTW: You can find a very improoved version of the BS170-datascheet sample at a nearly every German university - build this instead.

JHS

bah.  this is total fiction.  the use of the BS170 as an audio amplifier was relatively unknown until i developed the SHO circuit.  i developed it without the aid of a datasheet.  it was me and the BS170 and a radio snack experimenter's socket and a handful of parts.  all i wanted was something that would let me get way above 1M input impedance and give me a lot of variable gain, so i could let people have incredibly high headroom at low gain settings with a super glassy sound, and a really loud boost with asymmetrical distortion at the other end of the gain knob.  every time  i read about this BS170 datasheet bullshit i laugh my ass off.  it's TOTAL fiction.

the fuzz factory was developed by me in the middle of the night at my kitchen table.  it doesn't exist anywhere, in any form, in any schematic, in any way, before i created the circuit 9 years ago.

this guy is a total troll.  bwahahahahahaha.  what a worthless schmuck.

No, he isn't a worthless schmuck. He has a valid point. Your fuzz factory is just a slightly modded Fuzz Face, as well as the Gagan skyripper, for all its differences, comes down to the same basic pedal. I really enjoy my fuzz factory, but I will admit I reverse engineered it, and rebuilt one to my own tastes. I still have a purchased version, but to claim your circuit is unique, incredible, etc... is disingenous at best. It is an elegant circuit, but nothing special.

1] he has no valid points.
2]  i made no such claim.

let`s put this into a frame... :P

somebody quote this?

Benjamin

No, let us not frame it, let's look at it from a perspective other than simply licking Mr. Vex's boots, and try to get something useful out of all of this. There have been three pedals seriously discussed here, two of which are modified clones, the other of which there does seem to be pretty convincing evidence is not unique, and dates to a much earlier time. So what is all the hoopla about? Everything at this point is a clone, as it is damned hard to make a truly unique circuit. I am not attacking Zvex here, I just find it ironic and sadly hilarious that he gets a little upset when his schematics get posted, but has no problem taking from others.
He has no patent on his circuit, and if he continues to get so upset about the original nature of his Fuzz Factory circuit, I challenge him to attempt to patent it, and then wait for it to get torn to shreds for being an LPB-1 and a Fuzz Face put together. Assuming those two are still patented (probably not).  So let's bring out the trademark Vex smileys when he cannot respond, and his fanatical defenders leaping down my throat.

petemoore

Why Is this one so hard to figure out ???
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bobbletrox

Quote from: BenjaminHe has no patent on his circuit, and if he continues to get so upset about the original nature of his Fuzz Factory circuit, I challenge him to attempt to patent it, and then wait for it to get torn to shreds for being an LPB-1 and a Fuzz Face put together. Assuming those two are still patented (probably not).  So let's bring out the trademark Vex smileys when he cannot respond, and his fanatical defenders leaping down my throat.

I may have said that Zvex designs aren't protected by patents, but that doesn't automatically give you a right to act like an ass.  The Fuzz Face was never patented in the first place - and there are countless direct clones out there being sold by people who haven't modified the design at all.  Go bug them.

Pedal politics are stupid.  It's like being in Highschool.

Mike Burgundy

All those who are in favour of leaving this thread be and get the heck on with the business of designing pedals and perhaps attempting to make at least some kind of living out of that, raise your hand.
It's all in the archives, if you search hard enough, and needen't be repeated here, wether arguments are  pro, con, undecided or indifferent.

C'mon...smile!
:P

Hal

what is the radio shack experimentor's socket?

zachary vex

Quote from: Halwhat is the radio shack experimentor's socket?

Hal

HAHAHAHA its just a breadboard...

I thought it was some sort of magical device....

zachary vex

but it IS a magical device!  8^)

puretube

it indeed is magical, when you succeed sticking things in there
in an unusual, different way...

wished there were HV ones with tube-sockets...

(edit: this was addressed to Hal...)

zachary vex

i built the nano head on one.  including the high-voltage switcher.  8^)  i also built my stereo hi-fi prototype on one.  of course, completed, it looks and works much better in an enclosure.

Dan N

Quote from: puretube
Quote from: JHSThe schems in the German forum were postet by me.

No credits to ZV at all !!!!!

The SHO-schem is identical to a sample-schem in the BS170 datasheet, identical to a schem in a russian electronik book from early '80, identical to schems in tutorials at German universities since '75.

The FF-schem can be found nearly 1:1 in that russian book too, ex. pot for stab and gate, also in Brocelli's Cookbook.

So, what's the hack?

To me it's just a joke, that a manufacturer copy a schem from a book or a datasheet, add a (C) and tell everone that's his "invention".

But I'm not unfair, so I don't post a schem of the Nanohead
(if you want to klone it, make a web-search and find ZV's source by yourself, put the snipplets together and you get it).

BTW: You can find a very improoved version of the BS170-datascheet sample at a nearly every German university - build this instead.

JHS

bah.  this is total fiction.  the use of the BS170 as an audio amplifier was relatively unknown until i developed the SHO circuit.  i developed it without the aid of a datasheet.  it was me and the BS170 and a radio snack experimenter's socket and a handful of parts.  all i wanted was something that would let me get way above 1M input impedance and give me a lot of variable gain, so i could let people have incredibly high headroom at low gain settings with a super glassy sound, and a really loud boost with asymmetrical distortion at the other end of the gain knob.  every time  i read about this BS170 datasheet bullshit i laugh my ass off.  it's TOTAL fiction.

the fuzz factory was developed by me in the middle of the night at my kitchen table.  it doesn't exist anywhere, in any form, in any schematic, in any way, before i created the circuit 9 years ago.

this guy is a total troll.  bwahahahahahaha.  what a worthless schmuck.

No, he isn't a worthless schmuck. He has a valid point. Your fuzz factory is just a slightly modded Fuzz Face, as well as the Gagan skyripper, for all its differences, comes down to the same basic pedal. I really enjoy my fuzz factory, but I will admit I reverse engineered it, and rebuilt one to my own tastes. I still have a purchased version, but to claim your circuit is unique, incredible, etc... is disingenous at best. It is an elegant circuit, but nothing special.

1] he has no valid points.
2]  i made no such claim.

let`s put this into a frame... :P

somebody quote this?

Pretty cool!

Now I go to sleep thinking about infinity...

puretube

Quote from: Dan N
Quote from: JHS
The schems in the German forum were postet by me.
...To me it's just a joke...

JHS

bah. ... i laugh my ass off....

No,...I really enjoy...

1] he has....
2]  i made....

... :P
somebody quote this?

Pretty cool!
...thinking about infinity...

8)

Hal

JHS

No,...I really enjoy...

1] he has....
2]  i made....

somebody quote this?

Pretty cool!

8)
sorry. had to do it.

petemoore

Quote from: Hal

JHS

No,...I really enjoy...

1] he has....
2]  i made....

somebody quote this?

Pretty cool!

8)
sorry. had to do it.
Now just add color...have we reached the point of no return?
 What a strange and cool way to find the end to a thread !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

puretube

Quote from: petemoore
Quote from: Hal

JHS

No,...I really enjoy...

1] he has....
2]  i made....

somebody quote this?

Pretty cool!

8)
...had to do it.
...no return?...
which color,
what end ?

Fret Wire

Are we on the Mojo thread? Is this kansas? Where's Toto? Someone just click their heels, and it will all go away.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

puretube