News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

hey pic people

Started by zachary vex, November 24, 2004, 06:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

i have a 12c509a with a program in it that's pretty useful to me, but i don't have the original code.  is it possible to copy the code from one 12c509a to another, even if i can't see the code?

SirPoonga

Yeah, I think there is a way to get it out, not sure how.  However it will be in machine code.  Ther's no way of knowing variable names because variable names aren't stored, they are just a programming tool.

gtech

if you mean the code is protected against reading, I don't think you can copy it.

Gilles
Sorry, I had to do it...

The Tone God

It depends on how the lock/fuse bits are set. You may not be able to access the memory.

Andrew

zachary vex

i think it's locked, but i'm not sure.  the original author can't find the code!  augh!

toneman

uploading is not the same as downloading.
if protect bit was set when downloading/programming,
it's *nearly* impossible to readout mem.
If it was the programmer's "normal" mode to always set the
protect bit, then the PIC can't be programmed again.
I'm carefull *not* to set this bit, soz is can reprogram.
There *are* ways of reading the internal memory.
the "C" versions are the old ones.
the new "F" stands for "flash" memory/ram.
try googling for a PIC copier.  MayB your programmer would have
some info on this.  U escentially need another microP to step thru
mem and read the info at each location.
goodluck!
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

R.G.

Why, z - you of all people want to violate copyright on something that's clearly copyrighted?

Yeah, yeah, OK, I understand. The... um... original author is really participating, but he just ... yeah, that's it... lost the code, and it's um... yeah, so complicated that he can't recreate his own creation. Uh huh. OK. Gotcha.

The short answer to your question is - Microchips Technology did everything in their power to prevent you from reading out the code if the lock bit is set. That's one reason that the DSS people used PICs to do their encryption keys. And one reason that there is a whole cottage industry in unlocking.

I've seen things like dissolving away the epoxy with red fuming nitric and then doing partial-dose-erases on UV erasable (but plastic encapsulated) chips. Flash is a different animal, and may be readable by a couple of means. What you wanna do is to pose this question on some of the more questionable sattelite TV fora. You'll get your answer.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.