Flanger recommendations anyone?

Started by vfr800fiman, November 30, 2004, 10:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfr800fiman

Hi all-
I'd like to start my next project, and I'd really like to build a flanger. I used to own a "real" MXR flanger, so I thought I might build one of those.

Has anyone built a flanger that they liked and could comment on? I was looking at the schematic for the MXR unit, http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/humperdinck/223/mxrorig.gif
but I think those SAD1024 devices are probably very rare now. Plus I can't find a pcb layout for the MXR unit either.

Anyone done a flanger pedal that they really like?
Or can someone point me towards a flanger project that includes a pcb layout?

Thanks
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

cd

You can get the SAD1024 from Small Bear, or just replace it with a MN3007.  Then again if you need a PCB layout that might be beyond your abilities.  There is a complete Electric Mistress project on GGG.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

BDuguay

I own, and personally like, the EH Deluxe Electric Mistress. I plan to build my own and try to power it with proper voltage externally so I can reduce the layout and hopefully fit it into a 1590BB.
B.

Mark Hammer

Flangers cover a bit more territory than choruses or phasers do in terms of the sorts of tricks they can usually do.  So the question is "What do you want it to be able to do?".  Answering that will help you to narrow down the range of possibilities.

Do note, at least, that getting hold of ANY bbd/delay chip will involve a little more work and selective ordering.  As noted Small Bear generally has stock on what you want.  Ordering there is painless, but obviously more work than strolling into your local electronics outlet in the nearest industrial park.

Depending on your comfort level, chops, and sense of adventure, the initial tuning up and troubleshooting may be a sticking point.  Scopes are not required, and I suppose you COULD get one working without even owning a multi-meter, but debugging a flanger that doesn't work on first power-up IS a bit more trouble than figuring out why your FuzzFace doesn't work.  Like I say, though, you can either treat that as a reason to buy one (and maybe mod that) if you're in a hurry to stop soldering and get playing, OR you can treat it as an opportunity to learn.  Both are entirely reasonable choices.