sillicon fuzz face

Started by fuzz_fanatic, November 29, 2004, 02:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz_fanatic

how do you manage to use bc109/108 and so on with the fuzz face board. they have gains which are way too high... asked differently. what gains should i look for me sillicon fuzz face?

cd

You just put the transistors in.  The gains are different for Ge and Si versions, hence they sound different.   Read this for more info:

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm

brett

Mouser sells PN2369A (=2N2369A) and BD139s with hFEs of 70 and 130, for Q1 and Q2, respectively.  
Use a 0.22uF film cap instead of the standard 2.2uF electro input cap.
Place a .1uF cap across the 330/470 ohm resistor.  
Pure fuzzface heaven. :twisted:
If RF interference is a problem, put a 100pF cap from the collector to the base of Q2.

That's it.  IMHO better that any previous FF, including those with Ge transistors.  Big claim, but it's a big tone. :wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Gus

I did something different look at the 3 tran and others in the schematic section you can drop almost ANY Si in and it will sound good.  Not a "true" FF but not bad.  I changed the collector R because I like to run the Ic higher than stock.

Ride the IC vs Hfe curve for sonic fun.

Brett post  is a good one as well his .1uf is like my .01uf across the 1K

Do a search there has been some good post about Si FF circuits and some not so good.

bluesdevil

Hi Brett - I'm getting ready to try a silicone Fuzz Face circuit and would like to use your suggestions, but what do you mean by "across"? Would the cap be wired in parallel with the resistor you're referring too? Sorry if I sound stupid, but  I'm still learning.  Thank you.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

petemoore

Yes I think he means parallel, across.
 Because the cap mentioned is non-polar, it is non directional.
 All Fixed Resistors are non directional.
 Resistors and caps each have only two connections.
 To parallel two parts, take one lead each, from both parts, connect them/
 Now you have the parts connected at one end, and two open leads coming off each part, connect those.
  ------------------Resistor-----------------------
  ------------------cap-------------------------
 connect the -------'s on both sides
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bluesdevil

Thanks Pete, good God man you couldn't make it clearer than that, hahaha!!! I wished you could've jumped in to help me on the NeoVibe power supply thread I posted a few days ago.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

brett

Hi again.
Thanks Pete.  Man, do you ever sleep??? :wink:
Actually, for the person wanting to get seriously close to Ge tone, the parallel caps should be 0.1uF for the 470 ohm resistor version (as described) and 0.15uF for the 330 ohm resistor version.
These values low-pass the output with a cutoff frequency of a bit over 3kHz.  The effect is great :D .
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

Quote from: bluesdevilThanks Pete, good God man you couldn't make it clearer than that, hahaha!!! I wished you could've jumped in to help me on the NeoVibe power supply thread I posted a few days ago.
...Power Supplies...that's where I draw the line...
 Actually, one of these 'bukkier' days', I want to DIY a whole little amp, something with tapped transformers and all, and see if I can't figure it out. I'd like to know more about how to, but I think it might be easier if I start with something I have a data sheet comes with, so like half of 'it' is known.
 I think once I started getting it, I could swap stuff out and look for deals on Iron, build things up, etc.
 More kudos for you, that Neo Vibe and PS is just over the hill I haven't gone to yet. I think Vibe is the next best thing to happen for guitar since the Fuzz Box...chronology notwithstanding.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.