News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Lovepedal

Started by macula56, December 03, 2004, 01:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macula56

i just listened to some clips of this pedal and it sounds nice. anyone know what diy pedal would be close in tone and overall sound? thanks.
http://www.lovepedal.com/cot50redbg.htm

vanhansen

That is very cool.  Not sure what DIY would sound like that though.  What may work or come close that I can think of is the Runoffgroove Thunderchief, although it has way more gain than the Lovepedal.  The Thunderchief is a JFET version of the Marshall 100 Watt Super Lead, and the Super Lead is pretty much a Plexi.
Erik

Marcos - Munky

If you want a Marshall sound, try the BSIAB2.

jayp5150

QuoteThrew any amp even a Solid State amp.

Okay, maybe it's my OCD, but I couldn't give someone $200 after they had used "threw" instead of "through," on a professionl site.

Maybe it's just me.

All in good fun.

smashinator

Quote from: jayp5150

Okay, maybe it's my OCD, but I couldn't give someone $200 after they had used "threw" instead of "through," on a professionl site.

Maybe it's just me.

All in good fun.

Obviously they didn't have time to spell check because they were too busy with the sunburst paint job!   :D
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

petemoore

Nice sounding Clips !!!
 Sounds like a very nice Guitar, and phaser, with reverb, then the Mic and Cabinet, seems they like Plexi's...not real clear what they were running it through so I assume the best.
 Grreat sounding, tho not very indicitave of the capability of a one knob effect...sounds like there may have been some high end Boost going on there.
 The lack of grammar, and misspelling are supposed to be for like street cred coolness points I assume.
 I was getting stuff sort of like those clips going today, I do like that type of cleanish, phased, treble boosted with bottom intact tone with reverb.
 I was kind of left wondering exactly [besides being like a 6550'd plexi] what it does.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Quote from: petemooreNice sounding Clips !!!
 Sounds like a very nice Guitar, and phaser, with reverb, then the Mic and Cabinet, seems they like Plexi's...not real clear what they were running it through so I assume the best.
 Grreat sounding, tho not very indicitave of the capability of a one knob effect...sounds like there may have been some high end Boost going on there.
 The lack of grammar, and misspelling are supposed to be for like street cred coolness points I assume.
 I was getting stuff sort of like those clips going today, I do like that type of cleanish, phased, treble boosted with bottom intact tone with reverb.
 I was kind of left wondering exactly [besides supposedly emulating a 6550'd plexi] what it does.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ed G.

Quote from: Marcos - MunkyIf you want a Marshall sound, try the BSIAB2.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the BSIAB2 won't sound exactly like that. The BSIAB2 can get a LOT more sustain going on, and although it cleans up at the lower end of the drive pot, it doesn't clean up that well. The BSIAB2 is more of a rock machine.

b_rogers

i read HC forums a lot and sean of lovepedal posts there frequently. he hinted that he came upon the circuit when he miswired a octavia somehow.
i do know that it is just a few wires coming out of a small lump of epoxy the size of a quarter and he claims its point to point, no board..maybe a 386 or transformer circuit like the superdrive mini amp on tim e's circuit snippets?
his pedals get great reviews and plenty of buzz around hc..the balance pedal has a GREAT sound..one knob clean boost/fuzz combination.

Brent
homegrown, family raised couch potatoes. temperament unsurpassed.
http://electricladystaffs.com/

Brian Marshall

the only lovepedal ive ever tried was the toxic.... sounded like a very well made diode clipper... althought from the way its made i would guess it uses tranys instead of opamps.

Hendrik1

JHS

Take a LPB-1 or any other booster, reduce the input cap (app. 5-10n), replace the 100k Vol pot w 2 back-to-back wired 1N914 an add a 1k pot in series w the 390R emitter resistor (mayby a bypass cap too for even more gain) and voila, a similar circuit is born, w nearly equal sound.

JHS

Ge_Whiz

Quote from: jayp5150 on December 03, 2004, 03:47:38 PM

Maybe it's just me.

All in good fun.

That's nothing. I've just finished jury service on a case where a transcript of an interview with the defendant was presented. As is standard in legal practice, the recording was transcribed without any punctuation, and phonetically, thus "their" and "they're" was always typed "there", and "you're" was always "your". On a number of occasions, we had to query the ambiguity thus produced. Mind you, I'm a heavyweight pedant - even seeing "loose" when the writer meant "lose" sets my teeth on edge.

Hendrik1

"Take a LPB-1 or any other booster, reduce the input cap (app. 5-10n), replace the 100k Vol pot w 2 back-to-back wired 1N914 an add a 1k pot in series w the 390R emitter resistor (maybe a bypass cap too for even more gain) and voila, a similar circuit is born, w nearly equal sound."

JHS I like to give it a go, do you perhaps have a scedual or drawing with your adjustments?

Here a link for a LPB-1: http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=68

The input cap is 0.1 uF, reducing will be...
The back to back wired 1N914, the 'back' is the - or + from the diode?

JimRayden

Quote from: Hendrik1 on September 07, 2006, 12:59:53 PM
The input cap is 0.1 uF, reducing will be...
The back to back wired 1N914, the 'back' is the - or + from the diode?

Socket the input cap and try to go down by deviding the value by 2. That's how I do it. Try 0.047, 0.022, 0.01, 0.0047 etc. I guess any lower than that would result in quite a tinny sound though

hehe, now you will have to figure out which the backside of a diode is. In this case, though, the biology of a diode is irrevelant since one of them will have its back on the ground and the other its belly.

Like the first pic on this page, except remove the potentiometer and connect the diodes between signal and ground.
http://www.muzique.com/lab/warp.htm

---------
Jimbo

Hendrik1

Thanks, I hope I will succeed. ;)

wampcat1

Quote from: JHS on September 07, 2006, 10:43:19 AM
Take a LPB-1 or any other booster, reduce the input cap (app. 5-10n), replace the 100k Vol pot w 2 back-to-back wired 1N914 an add a 1k pot in series w the 390R emitter resistor (mayby a bypass cap too for even more gain) and voila, a similar circuit is born, w nearly equal sound.

JHS

Just curiousity...is this after tracing the circuit or is this just a 'soundalike'?

bw

JHS

It's just a 'soundalike'. If you want a Booster w nearly identical circuit use Tim's BJT 'Utility Boost'.
Same mod as before but drop the 2,2M R from base to ground and maybe there's a need to increase the collector R (10-39k).
Using Tim's 'J-Fet Boost' as a basic will give a bit sweeter tone.

The COT50 is basicly a treble booster w 2 added diodes, I think any TB w 4,7-10n input cap and the diodes will give a simiar sound.

I don't know why Lovepedal  claims the COT it's marshall-like sounding, to me it's a stupido fuzzbox w more fuzz than plexi crunch-

JHS

Hendrik1

Thanks JHS,

Small question but where stands 'BJT' stands for?

wampcat1

Quote from: JHS on September 07, 2006, 09:21:35 PM

I don't know why Lovepedal  claims the COT it's marshall-like sounding, to me it's a stupido fuzzbox w more fuzz than plexi crunch-

JHS

because it sells more pedals on HC. ;)