What's Your Main Motivation For Building Effects

Started by Paul Marossy, December 12, 2004, 03:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Main Motivation For Building Effects?

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: December 26, 2004, 03:13:08 PM

Paul Marossy

I ask out of curiosity. It's a variety of things for me...

MartyMart

Good Poll Paul !
I did'nt want to select "all" of the reasons, but most of them count for me.
Above all, i'm "addicted" and really enjoy "making" something that produces a very cool noise  :D
I just recorded a new band called "Emersion"  kind of "hard indie rock" and we used a few of my builds on the recordings, that made me very proud indeed !!
They were "blown away" with the sounds we got
I'll post up a few clips next week on my website.
www.martinlister.com

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Johnny G

i selected all of them because they all do (except "because everyone is doing it") applied to me. i love the challenge. im a poor student, sort of. i love learning. and next year when i go to do electrical engineering at uni, hopefully i will have coveredenough to spend the first two years doing sweet F.A. lol
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

panasonic_youth

i do it because i want to get really messed up sounding effects, ones that cant be found in stores because no one else wants them.

lightningfingers

Because it's cheaper? Thats how it started anyway, I have since become addicted and can't stop. :?
U N D E F I N E D

1wahfreak

1st to learn and have fun, but also because the price of some of vintage pedals are just outrageous. I saw Clydes this week going between $650.00 and $800.00!! Once I saw this forum, I thought why pay the extra $600.00 when I can make it for way less than $100.00 and be able to tune it exactly to my liking. Can't beat that......!!!! :D

Dan N

I chose the "save money" one. It comes from wanting to hear what vintage-famous effects sound like, but unable to afford them.

If the poll was for favorite user names, panasonic_youth would get my vote!

javacody

I too started out to save money and got addicted. Now I probably a thousand dollars worth of assorted parts here. How's that for saving money? LOL

petemoore

without sorting for priority...
 I'd never even seen a FF around, and built a 'few' I use, that I'd never be able to buy.
 Because I can take almost any effect and tune the thing to work 'better' at least with the rest of my rig.
 Price / Selection absolutely can't be beat.
 If I'm unhappy with one of my selections, I can change it.
 I can 'build and couple effects much better than what I could if I were to buy them. I can put a voltage divider between them for example.
 I can keep noise floor extremely low.
 I can choose what I want the knobs and switches to do, then cause them do it, within limits.
 I can get what I want just about every time...
 DPDT or 3PDT
 Solid Box
 The Circuit I want, tweeked to preferences.
 anything else
 Now I'm trying to think of an effect I desire that I can't build...Hmmmm
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

al3151

To learn and have fun best sums it up for me.I find wah wahs  completely magical and interesting  :D

bluesdevil

I started out  seeing about how to repair my old Maestro Fz-1a a few months ago, but quickly got sidetracked when I discovered all the great schematics, resources for parts and help to build lots of other cool things. Now I think I'm gonna have to sell my fz-1a just to help pay for the parts I need  for various clone builds, haha!!  Irony is a bitch.  As far as the poll, I guess now it would be "all of the above" for me(with the exception of "cause everyones doing it).
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: javacodyI too started out to save money and got addicted. Now I probably a thousand dollars worth of assorted parts here. How's that for saving money? LOL

:lol:

Yep! That was me too. At lest how I got started building synth stuff. I'm going to go broke saving all this money!

Making money is the only one which wouldn't apply to me I think.

Really as for making effects, if it wasn't for the net and sites like GEOFEX, GGG, ROG, Tone Pad and this forum I wouldn't be doing that much of it now.

John

Marcos - Munky

I started to save some money, because effects are really expensive here. After this, I build because "a cool guitarist uses a ___", then to learn and have fun, and now to find my tone. But I'm addicted too :P.

squidsquad

First it was because cheap pedals suck...and good ones are SO expensive.
So, I wanted to save money.  I also wanter to re-visit my childhood...& have a fun hobby.  (Made a shortwave reciever w/my dad when I was young)
Of course...you end up spending more than expected...once addicted.  But STILL less than buying a half dozen *botique* pedals.  And I've had SO much fun...learned TONS (thanks everyone) and am SO proud when running thru a booster, distortion, tremolo & amp...all built with my own two hands.
Also worth mentioning...I'm a pro guitarist...and my tone has improoved dramatically!

spongebob

I'm a confessing colophonium addict!  :lol:

And when I got into DIY electronics building I actually thought I would save some money, haha!

Jason Stout

I build because I want what doesn’t exist.
Jason Stout

panasonic_youth

in response to dan or whoever complimented my name:  panasonic youth is a song by dillenger escape plan. their guitar sounds are a main motivation for my building. they use crazy ring mods w/ distortion. its really cool.

Paul Marossy

I thought this would be an interesting poll. So far, it is.  :wink:

QuoteI'm going to go broke saving all this money!

He he. I know exactly what you mean! Actually, once you get a certain amount of parts stockpiled, you can build stuff fairly cheaply - probably for less than if you bought the real thing. It seems to me that the one offs will  cost you as much if not more than the real thing.

QuoteI build because I want what doesn’t exist.

Aha! Very good point! That is actually one reason that I build stuff. (I guess I should have thought of that category, too  :oops: ) I think that a lot of these DIY circuits sound better than what is commercially available in a similar category. Viva DIY!  8)

george

I build to
- save money
- tweak to my own taste and do other mods with a clear conscience about losing resale value etc

RickL

Like the majority I build for fun and to learn, but saving money and the challenge are also high on my list. I particularly like being able to build effects that I will never be able to afford. Fender Blender, Roland Bee Baa, Ibanez Flying Pan (wait for it), MXR Blue Box, Roland Funny Cat...

I actually have originals of the last two but I can't imagine destroying the value of them by modding.