What's Your Main Motivation For Building Effects

Started by Paul Marossy, December 12, 2004, 03:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Main Motivation For Building Effects?

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: December 26, 2004, 03:13:08 PM

KMS

I want FX that sound good, I want FX that have the controls that I want and in the location on the box that I want, I want to know how to make them so I can also repair them and add new mods as they come into my mind, and last but not least I don't want to pay $100 or more for a peice of crap that does not do what I want it to do and is not set up the way I like it.

I know I want a lot but that just me.

KMS
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds

niftydog

Quote from: Paul Marossyniftydog-

Geeks?! Maybe so.

geeks, not nerds. Important distinction.

Geeks are defined by a highly developed interest in a topic, not necessarily an all encompassing knowledge of said subject.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Marossy

Quotegeeks, not nerds. Important distinction.

Geeks are defined by a highly developed interest in a topic, not necessarily an all encompassing knowledge of said subject.

Ahh... then I am a geek.  :shock:  :oops:  :wink:

col

I found a book I bought years ago out of a bargain bin and built a treble booster out of it to see what it sounded like. Now I can't stop! I had no previous electrical experience but have had very few problems to date.
Col

jmusser

Initially, it was because I saw the inside of the Big Muff I just bought while changing the battery. I thought Man, I just paid $65.00 for a hand full of parts in a box, that I know I could make for half that! I had schematic reading, soldering and metal working skills from 11 1/2 years in telecommunications, plus I wanted to keep my brain working. It just ended up being the perfect hobbie, and I just can't ever see myself not building them. There is nothing so far that beats firing up a new circuit for the first time, and putting it through it's paces. Especially when you physically created it from a baggie of parts. I'm glad there is such a site as this, and I keep learning more all the time. I'm glad there are people here that are willing to share their design talents and their wisdom. I want to get back into the Easy Build thing again before long, because that's how I give back to the site for all the information I get.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Paul Marossy

Quoteand I just can't ever see myself not building them. There is nothing so far that beats firing up a new circuit for the first time, and putting it through it's paces. Especially when you physically created it from a baggie of parts.

Yeah, what a rush!  :o

QuoteI'm glad there is such a site as this, and I keep learning more all the time. I'm glad there are people here that are willing to share their design talents and their wisdom.

Amen.  8)

dr

.....I voted in the poll, but I never left a reason; I never really started having fun building projects (or anything for that matter)until recently my health got better and I was able to tweak my Neovibe until I was finally able to get it to suit me-now I am hooked on paying more attention to certain sounds people have gotten, and the equipment they used to get it. Not only learning something new everyday with this hobby as far as electronics information itself, but from kind input given by the members of this forum-I have learned a lot! Thanks unlimited to people like JD,Aron, Mark Hammer,troubledtom-it literally has given me the will to live on many occasions- Tom and I have shared the depression demon a few times.....and many of those times I would lurk in and out anonymously in silent witness to the posts by those patient few like Mark..........you guys rock!..........................dr

Paul Marossy

That's a good point you bring up dr. I also build stuff because it helps me to decompress. My job as a project manager/designer in a very busy consulting engineering firm can be stressful. Building stompboxes, amps and what not can be a great outlet.

Or in the case of depression, it can give you something to do besides being down, well not as much. I can relate, I know about that depression thing all too well. In my teenage years I battled it a lot. In my early thirties, there was about a 18-24 month period where I was seriously depressed. Maybe I could have even been considered clinically depressed, I dunno for sure, I never went to the shrink or anything.. At least I had my guitar to noodle around on, but there were a lot of times when I had no desire to play. I know that place. Hang in there.  :D

brett

1973 a poor kid in Australia wants a loud stereo (Deep Purple, David Bowie, King Crimson, etc. didn't sound right at low volume).  Saving the $4.84 he gets every Saturday working in the fruit and vege shop he saves $50 for a component amplifier (Electronics Australia Twin 40).  His friend's dad teaches him basic soldering and he's on his way...

I suppose I don't *need* to save money and build effects anymore, but there's a strong satisfaction in being productive and self-reliant.

Edit: I've just seen the comments about depression.  My advice is to keep looking for a the doctor and medication that is right for you.  I'm a 44 year old who has had bipolar disorder since birth.  Only recently diagnosed and medicated (at 40).  I have an uncommon, fast-cycling form of the disease - my emotional well-being can change in hours or days.  Man, does it upset me when a stompbox doesn't work out :cry:   On the other hand, I love it when they do :D   Anyway, all you mental health cases out there - keep on rockin'  :wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)