Phuncgnosis idea: will this work?

Started by the_badcliff, December 15, 2004, 12:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_badcliff

I just ordered parts to build a Phuncgnosis from Tim Escobedo's site.  Now I'm thinking I want to build it with a simple fuzz in the same enclosure, maybe on the same board.

Anyway, I've always prefered the sound of a fuzz before a wah rather than after, however, the compressed fuzz signal fed directly into the imput of the envelope filter would not allow for as much of a sweep.

So, what I want to do is have the clean guitar signal fed to the envelope filter, while having a fuzzed signal (switchable) fed to the envelope follower.

Looking at the Phuncgnosis schematic I think I know a way to go about this, and would like some feedback.  What I would do is have the fuzz switchable with the .002uf cap which I believe serves as the input to the wah part of the circuit.  This way the clean signal should still go to the "Aux in" section of the circuit.

I'm assuming this isn't a totally original idea and that somebody has tried it and can tell me how succesful they were.  Any other suggestions would be great.

Johnny G

yeah what you said is right (unless i misunderstood it)

just have the clean signal going to the input of the fuzz and also to the top lug of the 1Meg sensitivity pot.

then have the output of the fuzz going to the 0.002uF cap.

if you wanted to be flash i suppose you could find an excuse to put something in there to buffer signals or whatnot but tbh i dont think youd need it

that does seem like a good idea tho. the other alternative would be to just put in 2 switched jacks so that you could plug whatever effects inbetween the clean signal input and the start of the filter. that way if you wanted a different fuzz sound from it you could just slap the new effect into the loop instead of rebuilding it
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

ExpAnonColin

The EHX box does this...  as does the meatball I think.  You're right in your mod placing.  You could omit that straight connection from the input to the .002uf cap and replace it with switched mono jacks, switched with a conductor between one another, so that when you plug something in the send (first jack) and then into the return (second jack) you get an effects loop that allows the envelope to be created by the clean signal.  If you really wanted to be safe/cool, you would put a unity buffer before the send.

-Colin