Quietting hiss and white noise of ROG Omega?

Started by YouAre, September 29, 2010, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

I know that on BJT based boosters/fuzzes/anything, you can quiet down the noise of transistors by putting a 10-47pf cap across the emitter and collector. But since the ROG Omega is FET based, is there a similarly applicable "trick" for FET based pedals? Would connecting a cap from drain to source perform a similar function?

Important details about the pedal. It's in an enclosure, and adds more noise than a commercial OD-808 and a DIY octane fuzz. The octane fuzz has the cap from E to C on all transistors. The Omega is hissier than both of those pedals at similar gain settings.

YouAre

I know SOMEONE'S gotta have an idea about this!

B Tremblay

Mine is quiet and I don't recall others reporting such noise from the circuit.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

YouAre

It's definitely attributed to the lousy power in my house. It makes any gain/boost slightly hissy. But when using BJT, i tried the aforementioned cap trick, and we were  golden.

JohnnyB

I also have noisy power at home, but to silence things I run my pedals and pc through a desktop ups which conditions the line's power. I had some old ones lying around at work that I have been using but you should be able to get a new one for about 30-40 euros. Please note these UPS's normally only last max 2 years before the batttery dies and you need to by a new one.

petemoore

Lots of ideas, hopefully as many as there are possible sources of input, or at least the input that matters this time.
  Battery eliminates power supply issues, if a difference is noticed compared to PS, then the PS can be improved upon.
  Hum is associated with 60 cycle AC and other AC, I think it's hard to get 'hiss' out of house power.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

YouAre

I feel embarrassed. I shouldn't have even hit "New Topic" until I put in some power supply filtering caps. I supposed I should try that now  :D

azrael

Yes, those caps should help. Also try using shielded cable for the in/out stuff, and if you're using a single coil guitar, shield that too. :D