Let me introduce you to Dr.Boogey

Started by electrictabs, January 17, 2005, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcircuits

Bucksears and Puretube,

Thank you for your understanding. I PMed Electrictabs and asked what he wants regarding this. I credited him on my site (next to the circuit name). The PCB designer is adding Electrictab's name to the PDF and I'll have it replaced this evening. He's a great guy and it was an honest omittion.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I hope Electrictabs will be forgiving.

Unbeliever

Olcircuits, just wondering, did you talk to Dann @ 4ms pedals about your tremulus kit?

markr04

Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

B Tremblay

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 26, 2006, 07:00:18 PM
Olcircuits, just wondering, did you talk to Dann @ 4ms pedals about your tremulus kit?

Why would he have to do so?  The IP in question is in no way being infringed.  OLCircuits isn't passing the circuit off as his own or hosting the schematic at his site.  Also, he's not selling the board (Tonepad is), so there's nothing shady there.

All he's doing with that kit is selling the parts needed to build a Tremulus Lune.  As far as I'm concerned, this service for the DIY-FX community is way overdue and that's why I'm happy that he's supporting runoffgroove.com projects.  Did he need my blessing to do so?  No, but he still asked and that tells me that we're dealing with an honest individual who is genuinely interested in helping builders.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

troubledtom

me too , i'd like know.
    take this w/ a grain of salt, pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze
       i called dann and could not contact him, if you do not have his blessing , pull the kit til you do.
dann is one of the most kind, cool,and giveing souls i've ever known in 42 yr's.
                peace,
                        - tom
www.troubledvariance.com

ps; i like your site. :icon_wink:

troubledtom

Quote from: B Tremblay on April 26, 2006, 08:29:12 PM

Why would he have to do so?  The IP in question is in no way being infringed.  OLCircuits isn't passing the circuit off as his own or hosting the schematic at his site.  Also, he's not selling the board (Tonepad is), so there's nothing shady there.

All he's doing with that kit is selling the parts needed to build a Tremulus Lune.  As far as I'm concerned, this service for the DIY-FX community is way overdue and that's why I'm happy that he's supporting runoffgroove.com projects.  Did he need my blessing to do so?  No, but he still asked and that tells me that we're dealing with an honest individual who is genuinely interested in helping builders.

well ,
    i'd say the call is up to the designer........................................  just my take.
                                peace,
                                       - tom

Unbeliever

Quote from: B Tremblay on April 26, 2006, 08:29:12 PM
Why would he have to do so?

Settle down - I merely asked a question, and it wasn't even to you.  ::) Talk about going off half-%^&*ed......

4ms already offers a tremulus kit, has done so for years, and backs it with support from the designer himself. Any kit sale that Olcircuits makes takes money (admittedly, only a small amount) away from Dann / commonsound. Hence, me asking the question - and in no way was I asking it in accusing manner. So - back off man.  :icon_evil: :icon_rolleyes: ;D

olcircuits

Hello,

I respect designers and would not knowingly infringe on your rights. The exception was Electrictabs, and I did that unknowingly. This forum consists of people with superior circuit knoweldge - people whom I'd like to call on in the future regarding licensing. If I can't be trusted, no one will license a design to me. I've been open and honest and I hope that will remove suspicion over time.

Regarding Dr. Boogey:
I received and posted a new Dr. Boogey PDF from the layout designer. My page has been updated to reflect his name as well.

Regarding Tremulus Lune:
I believe that FP has properly licensed the circuit from 4MS. I'm selling kits to build the Tonepad project, but I do not make or sell any PCB listed under Tonepad. That's the agreement I honor with FP and I don't think I'm stepping on anyone in this regard. However, if 4MS doesn't want mention of the Tremulus Lune or the 4MS link on my site, I'll respect that and remove the kit entirely.

Thank you all for your time and understanding.

olcircuits

Unbeliever,

I didn't know that 4MS sold kits in this manner. It's gone from my site.

Unbeliever

Quote from: olcircuits on April 26, 2006, 09:24:20 PM
I believe that FP has properly licensed the circuit from 4MS. I'm selling kits to build the Tonepad project, but I do not make or sell any PCB listed under Tonepad. That's the agreement I honor with FP and I don't think I'm stepping on anyone in this regard. However, if 4MS doesn't want mention of the Tremulus Lune or the 4MS link on my site, I'll respect that and remove the kit entirely.

I'm pretty sure Dann would just like to be aware of what is happening, that's all ... for the rest, you'd need to contact him (hence my original question).

troubledtom

Quote from: olcircuits on April 26, 2006, 09:24:20 PM
Hello,

I respect designers and would not knowingly infringe on your rights. The exception was Electrictabs, and I did that unknowingly. This forum consists of people with superior circuit knoweldge - people whom I'd like to call on in the future regarding licensing. If I can't be trusted, no one will license a design to me. I've been open and honest and I hope that will remove suspicion over time.

Regarding Dr. Boogey:
I received and posted a new Dr. Boogey PDF from the layout designer. My page has been updated to reflect his name as well.

Regarding Tremulus Lune:

Thank you all for your time and understanding.

all is cool , just "ask" dann.
             - tom

Unbeliever

Quote from: olcircuits on April 26, 2006, 09:28:18 PM
Unbeliever,

I didn't know that 4MS sold kits in this manner. It's gone from my site.

Well, it's up to you .... all I asked was whether you talked to Dann or not.

Tom, I doubt Dann would have a problem with it.... but all it takes is dropping him a line via email or phone (once AGAIN I refer to my original question).

PS Tom, drop me a line with a contact number bro....

olcircuits

Unbeliever,

I didn't remove the kit in a huff of anger. I removed it because, after reading that 4MS sells kits, I personally felt like it was the right thing to do. I don't need to contact Dann to know that. I don't want to compete with the designer himself and take a sale from him.

I thank you for pointing that out to me. There are no hard feelings!

B Tremblay

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 26, 2006, 09:14:22 PM
Settle down - I merely asked a question, and it wasn't even to you.  ::) Talk about going off half-%^&*ed......

4ms already offers a tremulus kit, has done so for years, and backs it with support from the designer himself. Any kit sale that Olcircuits makes takes money (admittedly, only a small amount) away from Dann / commonsound. Hence, me asking the question - and in no way was I asking it in accusing manner. So - back off man.  :icon_evil: :icon_rolleyes: ;D

If you didn't want to see anyone else's reply, then you should have asked him directly via PM or e-mail. :icon_wink:

I apologize for making the erroneous assumption that, as someone whose projects are being supported with kits from OLCircuits, my opinion might be of value to the discussion. :icon_redface:
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Unbeliever

Quote from: B Tremblay on April 26, 2006, 09:58:12 PM
If you didn't want to see anyone else's reply, then you should have asked him directly via PM or e-mail. :icon_wink:

I apologize for making the erroneous assumption that, as someone whose projects are being supported with kits from OLCircuits, my opinion might be of value to the discussion. :icon_redface:

True - I just automatically selected 'reply'. Boy do I regret it now. ;^)

Again - and this is the last time I'm going to say this - all I did was ask if he conctacted Dann. I think there's a little oversensitivity on these (and all forums) sometimes, it was just a simple question. 4ms projects != (ROG || Tonepad). I agree it's cool having more kits available to DIYers, especially ones that weren't previous available.

RaceDriver205

QuoteI think there's a little oversensitivity on these (and all forums) sometimes
Amen! Some people just go nuts and use the forum for some kind of katharsis. I said in a thread abut danelectro pedals that I thought that the danelectro beyond metal were better than boss distortion pedals and I got tongue lashed to the max. Some folks should take to a punching bag a few times a week.

puretube

this thread looks like having started the Dr. B**gey-craze out there in the
biz-attractive stompboxworld... :
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=16259513

see 11th post.

electrictabs

Hi
I’m making this post to clarify some issues that came up during the past month and especially last week. I have been watching this thread and the one in Harmony Central forum concerning the Doctor Boogey kit. Olcircuits did contact me to inform me that he wasn’t aware of the designer of the circuit/schem and asked me what was my will regarding his selling kit. First of all I have to mention that I believe his ignorance and there are no hard feelings against him. It was very fair of him to apologize and put my name on his webpage as soon as he found out. I have yet to mention that I have found out that certain people (probably not from this forum) built Doctor Boogey and sold as their creation which upset me.
I posted the schematic of Doctor Boogey a year ago in this forum because I was very happy with the sound of the circuit (not all tube-fet emulation sound good) and I wanted people on this diy stompbox forum try it for themselves and WILL NEVER REGRET DOING SO. Bucksears in collaboration with me did a great job designing a pcb for all forum members. I have never asked for anything in return for posting this schem nor will I ever ask something from the people wanting to make a clone for their own personal use.
I have worked many hours with the Doctor Boogey circuit to get the best of it.
The circuit with some mods/add-ons(like an onboard switchable noise gate,etc) is under production by myself and is getting really famous in the local market as well as worldwide. For that reason I don’t feel it is fair for other people to take advantage of this circuit for their own stake. I don’t demand anything I’m just kindly asking for a fair treatment from all of you. I’ve been a member of this helpful forum for sometime now and I respect everyone. All I’m asking is for the same respect. I’ll be more than glad to help diyers build their own clone.
Thank you

Chris Ntaifotis
electrictabs@yahoo.com

(p.s. there will be a similar post in the harmony central forum)

RaceDriver205

Yeah, we know people do that (the scum!). You can't stop them though, people think of themselves first.
If I was going to sell an effect I designed I wouldn't release its design, or at least postpone the release until I was satisfied with my sales.

However, I for one would like to thank you greatly for your contribution of this effect, and a great deal of people on this forum have commented how good it is (including me). Many people will benefit from your design, and if the effect is indeed getting famous, being the guy who designed it has to count for something. :icon_biggrin:

electrictabs

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on May 04, 2006, 09:42:11 AM
Yeah, we know people do that (the scum!). You can't stop them though, people think of themselves first.
If I was going to sell an effect I designed I wouldn't release its design, or at least postpone the release until I was satisfied with my sales.

However, I for one would like to thank you greatly for your contribution of this effect, and a great deal of people on this forum have commented how good it is (including me). Many people will benefit from your design, and if the effect is indeed getting famous, being the guy who designed it has to count for something. :icon_biggrin:

thanks for the kind words. Although the word 'scum' is a bit heavy i would never use it ,i must admit that you re right in the first paragraph but i have to make clear that since i have benefited from this forum viewing other people designs or recomendations/help by becoming better i would like other people to benefit the same way from my designs(by saying benefit i don't mean financial benefit).And as i said before i don't regret posting the schem on this forum