Behringer rips off Boss and Electro-Harmonix!

Started by mrsage, January 20, 2005, 08:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandturk

The only thing BOSS/Roland might have a case on is trademark infringement, that is assuming that they have trademarked the physical look of the box, which they likely have not.  

This can be likened to double cream humbuckers (Dimarzio) and Strat headstocks (Fender).  These items were trademarked by their respective companies, i.e. the physical design and look of the item represents the company.

petemoore

Lets see.
 Metal Case
 Plastic knobs
 Copper Wire
 PCB
 Jacks DC and Phono
 Paint
 LED
 Screws
 IC's
 Resistors
 Capacitors
 Pots
  Not to mention
 Design [well some anyways, looks like they 'saved' in this dept.]
 Pretty cool we can have 'elves' make these for so CHEEEEEEEEEP.
Who the Ehck would want to make and sell for such a 'cost'...
 Unbelievable 'leverage', low prices like these are not only hard to believe, the pressure they put on the competition must be unbearhingable. Sure puts a dent in 'traditional' companies that follow labor laws [inference on my part]. Sorry for the OT, but this is pretty obvious to me: I would not want to earn my dinner from wages made from the actual making these devices. Dinner for four could cost more than that anyway.
 Perhaps Behringer and Wal Mart have merged.
 I bought a Behringer board, and saved alot of money doing so. I'ts not designed for 'longevity' unless it's 'protected' from normal use, otherwise it's quite the performer. [I'd like a more substantial power cord jack, and knobs that arent' designed to break away very easily...which would be N/P, no extra expense if I was designing them...well at Berhinger prices the more substantial power jack might cost an extra .02 cents...but would be totally worth it to make the rest of the unit usable for a longer period of time.]
 OT...Saldor Rules.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AL

I'm not sure why this surprises anyone. Behringer is notorious for doing this. It seems to be their "thing".

AL

puretube

Quote from: StephenGiles......but who knows what agreements exist.
Stephen

just got emailed back from your former boss (not:"b*ss):

seemingly NO agreement, from what I read...

Ge_Whiz

Cool! Behringer rips everybody off - and usually pretty well. Their 'Vintager' amps are clones of Tech 21's 'Trademark', after all.

After all the convincing arguments that 'boutique' pedals have to be that expensive - maybe mass-produced ones don't.

If they appear in the shops, I'll be buying them. After all, in a few year's time, people will be selling them at high prices on ebay as "the famous "lawsuit" pedals"...  :D

puretube

maybe all the BOUTIQEERS should buy 1000s each,
kick out the ingredients, mod them "modded by ....",
put`em in fancy painted boxes `n` sell `em extra xpensive.

Leaves them 1000s of empty "professional" boxes,
where they can put in their future next generation own
FX-designs (re-painted, of course),

or: sell those boxes extra cheap to Aron or SmallBear...

Bucksears

And copied...............SANSAMP!!!??????

http://www.behringer.com/GDI21/index.cfm?lang=ENG

(I haven't been copied........have I????)

Bucksears

gazza

Quote from: Ge_Whiz
If they appear in the shops, I'll be buying them. After all, in a few year's time, people will be selling them at high prices on ebay as "the famous "lawsuit" pedals"...  :D

my thought exactly!   if 15 quid is true, they are 25-50% cheaper that even the cheapes and nastiest stuff out there.    and it' worth getting them quick incase someone does get an injunction to stop thier sale - which would be tricky !

I'm use to UK prices being high, BOSS stuff lists for 35-65 quid for a OD-1.   So I'm more happy to make DIY stuff because the cost isn't too different.   BUT at 15 quid - I'm more likey to buy and mod.  Hell, thats how much HMV want for a CD these days.....

I'm sure they are nasty plastic boxes,  but i'f you're a 'teenage bedroom hero',  you're gonna get them.  

I can see the graphic equaliser and maybe the metal tone and dig delay needing to be bought.    

plus the EH ones look like they're in metal boxes 'cause their twice the price.  

DID PEOPLE SEE THE DIMEBAG WHA too ?  

http://www.behringer.com/HB01/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I wouldn't really want to buy a plastic wha pedal, but the list price is 31 quid and the dunlop lists for over 200 here in the uk  that's a BIG difference.

G.  

[/url]

Bucksears

Talked to a buddy of mine at lunch about their new stuff today.
He suggested that they might be DIGITAL (software) emulations of these effects, rather than component-based reproductions; i.e. it says 'modeled after' on everything, so.......
Kinda like the newest Line6 stuff is based in individual pedals.

(Unless I've misread something saying that they are actually parts/analog based)

Still, might not be bad to have a few cheap digital effects, if they're done well.

mrsage

And those are the MSRP prices, too, right? Street price might even be a bit cheaper...

Seems like Behringer is essentially stealing designs, thereby removing the R&D costs from their pricing plan. Then they're also undercutting the Boss profit margin, which is probably pretty hefty.

I'm in favor of reducing stompbox prices overall, but I'm not sure about how they're doing it now.

If you think about it, though, this has been done in the past. Look at all the old Ross and MXR stuff...compressors were nearly identical, the Ross phaser is very similar (down to the color) to the Phase 100. Then there's the DOD 250 and the MXR Distortion+...and I guess the Ross Distortion, too.

Then think about the Maxon/Ibanez TS-9 and OD-9 and 808, etc...though that's a little different since they were working together at one point.

Anyway, there's precedent. And we of all people know that the Distortion+ and DOD 250 are the base of many of our designs...Seems like Big Muffs are really hot right now. I think we need to come up with some awesome mods for this Behringer (and by "we", I mean "you all" :D )

ethrbunny

The fact that they mention Boss by name on the site means they surely have a licensing deal with them.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

mrsage

Quote from: ethrbunnyThe fact that they mention Boss by name on the site means they surely have a licensing deal with them.
Not necessarily...Line6 mentions boss and EHX and others by name in the manuals for their modeling boxes.

markusw

Quote from: BucksearsHe suggested that they might be DIGITAL (software) emulations of these effects, rather than component-based reproductions; i.e. it says 'modeled after' on everything, so.......

That's what I thought after browsing through the pages.

So, if it's just modelled....who cares

:?:

Markus

mrsage

Quote from: TorchyI thought this was a DIY forum.
Which includes modding ultra super cheap pedals that are obviously complete and utter rip-offs of current designs.

:wink:

petemoore

Either these things are being 'conjured up' or someone or something had to gather all the stuff, and re-arrange it so it appears as a pedal.
 Pretty nifty trick for 25-40$ I'd like to learn how it's 'actually' done.
 I suspect something' is contributing to the low cost...like marketting financiers who put these things out to clobber the competition, or 'elves' to labor these tasks of re-arranging, or both.
 From I 'hate' [love] the 70's....things that make you go Hmmmm....What the heck's really going on.
 ...Even if they are digital...how much easier is that really...you still need a PCB [or 'something?']... and everything else.

dr

.....so thats where all the defective factory-second Boss stuff goes!......

MartyMart

I dont know about "modding" possibilities, I bet they are mostly custom chips and  surface mount technology  !!!!

The prices though    geeeez  !  :roll:

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

"The Price is too high on "P.C." pedals..." for me to feel comfortable.  :lol:   :D   :oops: ...lol.
 "The price on Badinger' pedals is too LOW !!!"...  :shock:   :?   :x ...seriousl though.