In need of a switch for a BOSS pedal...where can I find one?

Started by Kcollins, January 24, 2005, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjonny

Well, JD's GGG schem (that looks like a scan from BOSS) says Q8 & Q9 can be 2SC1685R or 2SC945.  I'd see how to find those.

Mouser has a cross-reference (functional equivalent) for the 2SC945.

Also keep in mind:
Quote from: KCollinsSo I should replace those and it should be good?
Quote from: zac102all things considered, its probably a bad transistor, but I would imagine that another component in that section of the circuit could be at fault.
Its worth trying to replace these, but there's no guarantee this will work.  It's essentially a wild stab in the dark, guided by a bit of logic.

Paul Marossy

QuoteIt's essentially a wild stab in the dark, guided by a bit of logic.

Oh, you mean a S.W.A.G.?! (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess)  :lol:

I'm also thinking that it's possible that the transistors are actually good, but the bias voltage may be thrown of somehow, so they're not switching like they're supposed to be...

Kcollins

S.O.A.B. It seems that the damn on/off LED was shorting or something....With the tiny LED circuit unscrewed from the pedal it works fine.

Paul Marossy

Well, that saves you some headache fixing it!  :wink:
I have spent hours trying to figure out why something wasn't working only to find out it was something stupid like that.  :x

Kcollins

I know, I apologize for any migrains. It was working fine for days after I modded it and then all of a sudden it wouldn't turn off! I wou'ld've never thought the on/off LED somehow moved.

Paul Marossy

It makes sense actually. It was probably shorting out the power supply to the flip-flop transistors...  8)

Kcollins

I'm just glad I can use it again. It sounds so good now!

zac102

I had a similar problem with my ds-1.  my friend gave it to me as a sort of "if you can make this work it's yours kind of thing."  it wouldn't turn on, but then when I opened it up to inspect it, everything worked fine.  what was happening was that the board was shorting against the bottom of the case.  the low cost solution was to coat the panel with electrical tap.  the other problem was that the momentary switch wasn't returning to origin.  I took that apart before I tried to replace it, the internal spring had slipped off of its seat and kinked, I just bent it back and I haven't had a problem since.  If I had to guess what happend to the pedal, he stomped on it a little too hard, broke the switch, and then when it stopped working properly, he just threw it across the room.

I got a vintage ampeg from him dirt cheap($10) in a similar manner.  when I got it, it was missing the power tubes, the chasis was bent, all of the shock mounts and a knob were broken, it had a blown fuse, and the rectifier was bad(the tube had white junk on the inside of it, which I didn't think was right).  If I had to guess what happend, I'd say that the rectifier went, took the fuse with it, and when it stopped working, he threw it, causing the chasis to fly out of the head, and possibly causing the power tubes to go along with it.  after checking the electronics for shorts and bad components, geting a voltage reading off of the power transformer, and in general just looking for other possible failure modes, I concluded that my friend is an idiot, replaced the tubes and fuses, and fired it up.  it sounds awesome now, and the prices of old ampegs are on the rise.  I made out like a bandit.

Obviously, I don't let this guy near my stuff anymore.

Kcollins

kinda similar, except there was no gear throwing here :shock:

Paul Marossy

QuoteI got a vintage ampeg from him dirt cheap($10) in a similar manner. when I got it, it was missing the power tubes, the chasis was bent, all of the shock mounts and a knob were broken, it had a blown fuse, and the rectifier was bad(the tube had white junk on the inside of it, which I didn't think was right). If I had to guess what happend, I'd say that the rectifier went, took the fuse with it, and when it stopped working, he threw it, causing the chasis to fly out of the head, and possibly causing the power tubes to go along with it. after checking the electronics for shorts and bad components, geting a voltage reading off of the power transformer, and in general just looking for other possible failure modes, I concluded that my friend is an idiot, replaced the tubes and fuses, and fired it up. it sounds awesome now, and the prices of old ampegs are on the rise. I made out like a bandit.

Sounds like this guy has an anger problem...  :shock:

zac102

pretty much, all of his gear is in pretty rough shape.  he just dropped 2 grand on a dsl100 full stack, I say it lasts a year or less.