FET emulation of tubes without trimmer?

Started by puretube, February 01, 2005, 08:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

Quote from: StephenGiles on May 28, 2008, 03:56:47 PM
Perhaps, but to me fuzz is fuzz and not worth arguing over, when there are far more interesting areas to explore, i

Like what?
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

StephenGiles

Quote from: DougH on May 29, 2008, 07:34:24 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on May 28, 2008, 03:56:47 PM
Perhaps, but to me fuzz is fuzz and not worth arguing over, when there are far more interesting areas to explore, i

Like what?

Ripple free envelope followers/generators, EH Guitar rackmount Synth and that sort of thing.

I'd wager that if you dropped the input in line resistor on many guitar amps you wouldn't need a distortion!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

DougH

I agree that distortion circuits are getting pretty boring to me these days. I think it all caught up with me when I realized something I designed a couple years ago sounded pretty similar to something I designed almost 10 yrs ago. :icon_eek:

I find most time delay or modulation effects to be too inexpensive, well done, and readily available via the DSP folks to be worth my time or effort trying to DIY.

Re. amps, I've found those much more rewarding to build, for me personally. There's a lot more to tinker with, I still have a *long* way to go on the learning curve and as a guitarist in general I just find them much more useful and satisfying when I'm using one I built.

Envelope followers and etc are a lot of fun to play with. I think dynamic/interactive effects would be an interesting area to work, esp to come up with new ideas there. Ever since I heard clips of the Wylie Moonrock many years ago I've been intrigued by the idea of "extreme interactivity" of a device controlled by the guitar.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

StephenGiles

Quote from: DougH on May 29, 2008, 11:04:28 AM

Envelope followers and etc are a lot of fun to play with. I think dynamic/interactive effects would be an interesting area to work, esp to come up with new ideas there. Ever since I heard clips of the Wylie Moonrock many years ago I've been intrigued by the idea of "extreme interactivity" of a device controlled by the guitar.

I'll gather some thoughts on this and send a PM to you later, I have an idea pending which needs more communal effort.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Dragonfly

Quote from: DougH on May 29, 2008, 11:04:28 AM
Ever since I heard clips of the Wylie Moonrock many years ago I've been intrigued by the idea of "extreme interactivity" of a device controlled by the guitar.

I own a few Wyllie pedals, including the Moonrock. Really a wonderful sounding, highly interactive pedal. Doesn't do much for me at low volume, but when you crank it up a bit.....   ;)