Info on BASS FX.....

Started by frostbite, September 02, 2003, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frostbite

8)  Hi to all - I am new to this board and site - I hope I can get some help here from seasoned veterans....  I am wanting to build my own FX pedals/stompboxes for my Bass Guitar...  It is a Samick - Greg Bennett signature series Fairlane Jazz Bass - I have changed the pots to 250k from 500k and fitted new strings and Pure-Tone pick-ups (Aussie made).  This has made some good changes to the bass and now I am looking to build my own FX units for it....  

Can anyone out there help me with recomendations - schematics - etc. - any and all advice and usefull comments are appreciated....

Cheers for now -

Greg  -  alias 'frostbite' (Blues Lyricist).... 8)  8)  8)
NSW Australia.

[/b]

moosapotamus

Welcome!
I'm sure some others will chime in, too. But, check out my web site for a few clips of what (I think 8) ) sounds cool with bass. :mrgreen:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Rory

The Bazz Fuss at www.runoffgroove.com has been very popular.  I am a HUGE fan of it both on guitar and bass.  If you do it on bass, I'd use the 2nd version caps.  Good luck!

Peter B

G'day Greg...  welcome to another Aussie (I'm in Tas)

My son plays bass, a Samick with passive pickups... pretty basic stuff.  I made him a cool (well cool to his ears anyway  :) ) pedal following advice from Charlie and others. It gives a rather harsh, fuzzlike distortion which my son loves.  It's basically a Bazz Fuzz variant... I'll draw up a schematic if you like.   A nice simple cct, uses one transistor and I ended up using a LED for distortion.  I added a millenium bypass to drive a BRIGHT blue status LED too, very cool look.

Cheers,
Peter.

Stu

I play bass and guitar and am a big fan of the big muff pi. Get it from //www.tonepad.com and you can use some common transistors from say dick smith or jaycar with great results. The tonestack can be altered to suit bass.

frostbite

8) Cheers and Thanks guys - I will be sure and check them out ....  Hey there Peter B - I'd be grateful for the schematic/s (from any and all) - if you have something that works - drop me an email at frostbite@dodo.com.au and I will get back to you.....

It is nice to get some early responses - thanks again...

Ciao....

Greg   -   alias 'frostbite'...... 8)  8)  8)

sfr

Are there any special considerations one should make when designing an effect for bass?  It seems there needs to be some tonal considerations with distortion boxes, what about other effects?  

And what about other instruments, like electric string instruments (I have a friend who plays a viola with pickups) or analog synths?
sent from my orbital space station.