PCB layout book

Started by R.G., September 02, 2003, 09:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

OK, the new book pages got printed. I'm binding covers on a batch and will post here when I have filled the list of people who have already told me they're waiting.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

sfr

Ah- being a relative new-comer, I hadn't heard about this - any details?  If it's what I think it might be, I'm probably very interested
sent from my orbital space station.

JT

Does this book take you step by step on Making yoru own boards and layouts? Is it good for a beginner? I would be interested in a copy as well. Please let me know
Jotova@aol.com

Rodgre

RG, I was just looking at the info on this on your site. How could I order it?

Roger

ncc

Hello,
I recently had a chance to see a previous version of the book
and I must say I was really impressed with it. This is
well written, good layout, good flow, etc. Too bad I didn't know it
existed a few years ago.

It is very well done and a good investment for anyone
interested in this topic.

ncc

Andy

I want one as well, RG.  How much do they cost?  Truth be told, I'd buy a book on how to crap from you.  You are the most well-informed "virtual" buddy I've "met" in a long time.

By the way, that's a compliment  haha :wink:
Andy

R.G.

I forgot we have a new batch of people in the group now.

For those of you who haven't seen it, the info on the book is at http://geofex.com/bookpages/bookblurb.htm

I wrote out an introduction to PCB layout customized for the limited case of typical guitar effects. Actually, the approach I use works for any circuit that's amenable to human layout, but since we're all after effects, that's what I used for all the examples.

I addressed starting with a schematic and winding up with a single sided PCB layout for ordinary pin-in-hole parts like 1/4W resistors, film caps, electrolytics, and dual-in-line IC's. I did not go into surface mount parts nor double side (or multilayer) design techniques because they require a sophistication that most users won't need. I covered most of the simple optimization techniques that work for single sided boards.

I hit a lot of the points that people don't think about - for instance, what you start with is NOT the circuit at all - it's the physical restraints, like where the board supports are, the locations of any board-mounted pots, jacks, etc. that have to work with an enclosure. There's nothing quite as frustrating as having a drilled box and a completed PCB where the control shafts are 1/8" off from fitting in the holes. And I hit things like drawing in the physical constraints on an extra PCB layer that you *won't* print. That gets everything lined up.

Anyway, you can read the blurb. They're $23.75, plus shipping. I ship them all priority mail, because they cost $2.45 by first class, and priority is only $3.85. Shipping outside the USA is mor expensive and takes longer.

The book is only available in hard copy. That is, I personally print all the pages and covers, chuck them up in my homemade book press and perfect-bind them in my garage. I have had it available electronically two times, through two different electronic book places, both of which promptly went out of business. I choose not to put it on the web or on a CD, because my experience is that it would be posted or passed around on the net within a week. Sad, but that's what would happen. I wish it were otherwise.

I've flogged the book binding places raw trying to find one that could print these for me. They all want something like $18 to $20 a copy, and that puts it outside the range where people can afford it. I could get that down to maybe $4 a copy if I'd order a thousand... which I can't afford.

So - I apologize for the difficulty in getting it. I'm limited by how many and how fast I can print and bind them.

As I said, I'll get the backlog taken care of, and then post availability for the next batch.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

EdJ

Great to hear you have new books available!
Greetings,Ed

SoundTech

Great news!!!!!!!  I know I've mentioned on the forum a few times that I'm very interested in a copy, and I did try to e-mail you a while back (apparently with an old e-mail address).  Not to sound like I'm groveling, but I hope I'm on the waiting list.  Once again, thanks for all your hard work, RG!
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

Erik

Hey R.G.,

I hope I am on the list. I have been waiting semi-patiently for many a moon. :)

-erik

nightingale

rg~
i'm pretty sure i'm on the list, as i raise the topic way too often. here is my emaill, send me a line when the bindings are finished... thank you very much!
~ryanS
ryansusa3@msn.com
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com