Author Topic: Which first in signal - buffer or clean boost?  (Read 12 times)

Governor

Which first in signal - buffer or clean boost?
« on: Today at 05:30:52 PM »
I recently built a clone of the little black buffer and have it at the start of my signal chain on my board (after wah and Octafuzz). Works great, I have about 8 pedals after it which are all true bypass, the CC delay at the end is almost always on too.

I use an EQD plumes as a solo boost into my OCD for most things but it would be good to have a basic DB boost on hand when Iím using the Plumes and OCD stacked for higher gain as well as a boost by EQD Hoof to maintain that fuzz sound for solos since the Plumes mid hump kind of takes that away.

I also have a Fat Boost clone that I built (not on my board at the moment) which is a great DB boost pedal. Iím looking a putting the same little black buffer circuit board into the fat boost pedal via a toggle switch which can will bypass the buffer if needed.

Question is : does the buffer circuit go before or after boost circuit inside the pedal?

Vivek

• Awesome!
  • Do good for others, good will happen to you !
Re: Which first in signal - buffer or clean boost?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:54:26 PM »
JHS little black buffer is a unity gain schematic with an Opamp. It would distort for input signals more than ~4vp. It has output impedance in the order of 100 ohms or less and input impedance around 800k

Fulltone Fat boost clone is a FET muamp circuit with about 50k output impedance and input impedance around 400k

Having the buffer before the boost will not drive the boost harder. The differences between input impedance will be slight.

Having the buffer after the boost will allow you to drive longer lengths of cable

« Last Edit: Today at 05:58:43 PM by Vivek »

Governor

Re: Which first in signal - buffer or clean boost?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks is mate, this would only apply when the boost is engaged right?  I plan on having the boost turned on and off via the foot switch (true bypass).  Thanks for the info, having the buffer after the boost makes sense.