Would this work?

Started by inverseroom, February 16, 2005, 03:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverseroom

I've been thinking about ways to make an absolutely crappy, plastic-sounding, but still musical distortion.  While looking at a Smokey mini-amp, I got to wondering: could you take a little mini-amp circuit, output it to a tiny speaker about the size of a quarter, and then have, glued face-to-face with the speaker, a piezo element, which would pick up the sound and send it to the output?  Both the speaker and piezo element could distort.  The whole thing would be enclosed in a stompbox that would actually make faint noises when you used it.

I like the idea of something mechanical happening in a stompbox--like the optical vibrato in old Yamaha organs, or, in this case, actual sound being transferred through the air.

brad

What about taking the speakers out of a pair of those terrible little earphone things, sticking them together, and rigging one as a speaker and one as a microphone?

squidsquad

I love stuff like this.  Tinkering outside the envelope.  The closeness of the speaker & mike or PU would also play a role: close for more bottom, further for more highs.  It MAY sound like crap...on the other hand...might be way cool!

inverseroom

Yeah, my main concern is that it wouldn't sound crappy enough!  I like the idea of using the two headphone speakers.  Gotta go to Rat Shack today, let's see if I get any inspiration...