Tube-Submini Power Supply Question

Started by ragtime8922, February 18, 2005, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragtime8922

I have a question on this power supply I'm building using a 12V AC wall wart and a toroidal to get my B+ from either the 110 or 220 output (toroid in reverse). I am building my power supply on a piece of ply wood to use during the R&D of the submini amp I'm building. All schematics show both wires of the high voltage output section connecting together with the diodes for rectification. If you were to measure the voltage you would measure from this connection to ground. Where is ground? There is no circuit at this point just a supply so no other common points to connect with. I haven't messed with AC since school in 1992. Of course DC would never have you connect positive and negative together and have you measure from there to ground. Forgive my AC ignorance and please help. Thanks! (I do, however, need to tap the 12V AC before the toroid to get the filament volts but the schematics show the same reference to ground. Would I just connect the two lead that are supposed to go to ground together?)
      I read a ton of posts on EH toroids and tube supplys(McTube, etc) and they all left me with the above question.

puretube

I won`t repeat what I just PMed you back, but you can put it in the thread...

ragtime8922

Puretube,
      I didn't read your PM yet but I was comming back here i say that I just realized how stupid of a question that was. All the schematics I have laid out here and I overlooked the gnd connection ob every one of them. The AX84, for example, connects the two as mentioned above but then references the CT as GND which I completely didn't see.
      I love figuring out the answer to a question AFTER embarassing myself with a posting.  :oops:

Hey, it's AC high voltage. Better to embarass then to electrify myself. I have hotchassiaphobia (fear of making a hot chassis due to impropper grounding) :shock:

puretube

the "HOTCHA..." is a very positive disease - it`s like an immunisation