Author Topic: resistors  (Read 4254 times)

adgators89

resistors
« on: March 02, 2005, 11:29:57 PM »
does it matter which orientation the resistors are in   ie. gold side faces left, right or whatever?

aron

resistors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 11:42:49 PM »
No. Don't worry about the orientation of resistors.

Good Luck!

adgators89

resistors
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:03:48 AM »
I'm trying to build the sparkleboost and i get a really broken up sound - is that normal? any possible reasons or fixes?

dpresley58

resistors
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 03:10:40 PM »
While it doesn't matter -functionally- how the resistors are oriented, you may think about installing them consistently. Might seem anal, but I always drop mine in so the vertical ones have the tolerance band on bottom and horizontal ones where the tolerance band is on the right.

I'm a newbie, too (only two builds), but I heard the reason for this is to make the circuit easier to troubleshoot if there are any questions.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

adgators89

resistors
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »
which band is which - I would see the gold band up most of the time

dpresley58

resistors
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 02:02:35 PM »
Quote from: adgators89
which band is which - I would see the gold band up most of the time

That's the tolerance band. The point I was trying to make is that orienting them in -some- consistent fashion helps with debugging. At least the part-checking aspect of it.

For instance, if I look down at my board and see a resistor with 4 bands, they might read red-red-black-gold. I'd be able to quickly tell I have a 220-ohm resistor +/- 5% tolerance.

With non-polarized capacitors, I put the labelling to the left or toward the "bottom" of the board. This is for the same reason - easier to check.

Again, this technique is only to allow you to "read" the parts on the board easily. As pointed out in earlier posts, it has no bearing on the way the part functions.

Hope that helps. Check out this site if you haven't already :
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/resist.htm
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

adgators89

resistors
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 12:47:56 PM »
that's a good idea.  I am pretty anal about things so I always look for more organized ways to lay things out, the above post is a great way to organize or at least keep things neat.  great idea!