ZVex SHO "Crackle OK" - getting rid of the crackle

Started by O, March 07, 2005, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

Quote from: Torchycrp

care to explain to the rest of us?  you've used that crp response on many previous occasions.

RDV

stm

puretube

Completely Removed Post...

Torchy`s on the run...

sumthin`musta p*ssed him *ff  :shock:  :roll:

farewell veroboards...

casey

i think cause that other fella started making veroboards too...i could be wrong.  i would think though that it would be a compliment to him.

i dont know though, cause he just posted a while a go, and it was another "crp" thing....

Peter or Aron...  any ideas?
Casey Campbell

Dragonfly

Quote from: caseyi think cause that other fella started making veroboards too...i could be wrong.  i would think though that it would be a compliment to him.

dont know why that'd make him mad, considering we've both been making them for a long time...we even talked about putting a website up with both our boards....

something else must've set him off....

anyway, whatever it is Torchy...i hope it works its way out of your system soon....

best regards,
  andy

casey

Quote from: Dragonfly
Quote from: caseyi think cause that other fella started making veroboards too...i could be wrong.  i would think though that it would be a compliment to him.

dont know why that'd make him mad, considering we've both been making them for a long time...we even talked about putting a website up with both our boards....

something else must've set him off....

anyway, whatever it is Torchy...i hope it works its way out of your system soon....

best regards,
  andy

yeah, but i think there is something wrong with the board, cause he just posted and it showed up that way.....

he wouldnt post and then turn around and completely remove it....?

i dunno.

:?:
Casey Campbell

BlackFlag1313

Could you add a simple volume control to the SHO without radically changing the tone?

stm

Following with the "keep it simple" philosophy, you can simply add a momentary pushbutton that shorts out the OUTPUT jack of the SHO while you adjust the gain (i.e. crackle OK). This should work independently of the internal electronics of the SHO.

To avoid damaging things, place a 100 ohm resistor in series with the pushbutton. This should reduce output level significantly, thus masking the crackling while you move to pot.

Regards,

STM

stm

Man, the EDIT function is gone!

Edit to the above post: you can label the pushbutton "MUTE"  :wink:

STM

stm

Boy, you can also use a N.C. (normally closed) pushbutton in series with the OUTPUT to implement a MUTE function! :idea:

I'm pretty sure Zachary Vex evaluated all these options while developing the SHO, and probaly concluded the MUTE button was a "hard sell" in comparison to the "vintage" crackling of the pot.

Regards,

STM.

R.G.

I think it would be simpler to servo the source resistor with an LED/dual LDR like the Vactec VT5C3/2.

You make your gain control be a pot with a reference voltage across it, the wiper to the (+) input of an opamp. The opamp output goes to the LED, and the feedback comes from a resistor/one of the LDRs. The other LDR tracks the one being set to equal the pot voltage, and is used to set the gain.

At least I think that's what might happen, as I really, really don't know what's inside a SHO. 8-)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

stm

It is a good idea for a rack unit design. On a stompbox parts count would increase significantly as well as power consumption due to additional electronics and two extra lit LEDs.

zachary vex

Quote from: R.G.I think it would be simpler to servo the source resistor with an LED/dual LDR like the Vactec VT5C3/2.

You make your gain control be a pot with a reference voltage across it, the wiper to the (+) input of an opamp. The opamp output goes to the LED, and the feedback comes from a resistor/one of the LDRs. The other LDR tracks the one being set to equal the pot voltage, and is used to set the gain.

At least I think that's what might happen, as I really, really don't know what's inside a SHO. 8-)

yeah, i considered this particular option, but the minimum resistance is still too high, leaving out the highest-gain setting on the SHO, which is where the fun is for some people.  8^)  using a cap as an AC bypass on the source causes changes to both the biasing of the SHO and the frequency response, plus it limits the gain, once again... in my experiments, the AC bypass cap method yielded a maximum gain of about 30, while the crackle-okay method yielded over 50, sometimes 60.  that's a lot of gain to give up.  too much for me.  there's other things about the method i use that i like as well, which have not been mentioned here.  8^)

zachary vex

Quote from: stmMan, the EDIT function is gone!

Edit to the above post: you can label the pushbutton "MUTE"  :wink:

STM

it would be nice if someone made a pot that had a switch that pushed in momentarily, just for this function!  i suppose i could isolate the pot using shoulder washers, put a metal knob on it, and use touch-detection to intitiate the mute function.  i considered that as well.  seems like it could make for a fun effect as well... leave a chord hanging, and raise the volume while muting it in time with the song (or off-time).

stm

Zachary, isn't it possible to place a touch sensitive metal pad near the pot, so when your hand is close it detects its presence and automatically activates the mute option? Perhaps using the PROBE technology?

Another option would be an optical reflective array to detect the presence of the hand/fingers near the knob.

Regards,

STM

Khas Evets

Why not just use the mute button that came with the SHO...the on/off stompswitch?

Outlaws

Quote from: Khas EvetsWhy not just use the mute button that came with the SHO...the on/off stompswitch?

:idea:

HAHAHAAHahaaa

LMFAO.

Sometimes its the simplest solution that is the hardest to arrive at.   :lol:

Good idea.

zachary vex

Quote from: stmZachary, isn't it possible to place a touch sensitive metal pad near the pot, so when your hand is close it detects its presence and automatically activates the mute option? Perhaps using the PROBE technology?

Another option would be an optical reflective array to detect the presence of the hand/fingers near the knob.

Regards,

STM

sure, and i'll put a little tv monitor in it so you can watch the sports station at the same time!

8^P