ZVex SHO "Crackle OK" - getting rid of the crackle

Started by O, March 07, 2005, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL

Zachery wrote:

Quotesure, and i'll put a little tv monitor in it so you can watch the sports station at the same time!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Give me a minute while my sides stop hurting... OK.

Hey, can I get the cartoon network instead?

stm, that's an interesting idea but won't that take up some serious real estate? Also, what would happen if your foot crossed over that section while you're playing?

AL

Alex C

Quote from: ALwhat would happen if your foot crossed over that section while you're playing?

You could add a separate switch to turn the mute function on or off.   :D

stm

This is what I had in mind:

http://tinypic.com/22gmx2

An 8-pin IC plus three discrete components do not eat too much real estate, moreover, considering you use SMT.

Datasheet here:

http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM2907.pdf

And by the way, the idea of a graphics LCD on stompboxes is not far from reality. Today the cellphone industry has them produced massively and are very cheap. A single IC is all that is required to turn one of these beauties into a realtime waveform or spectrum analyzer. I guess the first one to put this out will make some serious money, just for the mojo.

Zach, if I were you I would seriously consider filing a patent on this idea, unless someone else has already done it  :shock:

Take care,

STM

HrD

i have this layout...

i've built it but the efx doesn't boost...the sound is a little compressed but without boost...

can u see something wrong?

thx
-------------------------------
www.francescoaccardi.com

AL

stm - now that's some thinkin'. Great little circuit - I can think of about a million things to do with that. Thanks for the info. Finger contact switch - I've seen those used in other areas. The panel would need to be separated from the box so you don't ground out - or would it? Would something like that introduce any noise into a circuit?  :?

HrD - I realize you've only made a few posts. Zach has asked that his schems and/or layouts not be posted. You may want to take that down, or if you can't, at least contact an administrator and have them do it. If you need a clean boost purchase the SHO or check out Jack Orman's Boosters at AMZ.

AL

Jason Stout

Quotecan u see something wrong?

Ah, some people will!
Jason Stout

Connoisseur of Distortion

Quote from: zachary vex
Quote from: stmZachary, isn't it possible to place a touch sensitive metal pad near the pot, so when your hand is close it detects its presence and automatically activates the mute option? Perhaps using the PROBE technology?

Another option would be an optical reflective array to detect the presence of the hand/fingers near the knob.

Regards,

STM

sure, and i'll put a little tv monitor in it so you can watch the sports station at the same time!

8^P

i vote for a scope, so you can watch your signal in action!  :D

Transmogrifox

Spectrum analyzer would be in line here--then you could use the pedal to pink your amp--with some amps, you wouldn't want it pinked, but you could use it to EQ to whatever contour sounds good in your amp.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

zachary vex

Quote from: HrDi have this layout...

i've built it but the efx doesn't boost...the sound is a little compressed but without boost...

can u see something wrong?

thx

hey, HrD, hi, umm... i don't mind if you look at naked pictures of my girlfriend in the privacy of your own home, but could you not lift up her skirt in public?  it's not her a** you're showing there, but the idea is getting under my skin.  capisce?  okay, that's Italian-American slang... i should spell it Soprano's style.  ca-peesh?

HrD

ok...zach..I try to solve otherwise... :cry:

i've done the fuzz fu*k troy...my personal re-interpretation...of your fuzz factory...it sounds great!

can i post...the digital paint???.....my enclosure...looks quite similar...!

thx for what u've done and for the efx that U R going to produce!
www.francescoaccardi.com

zachary vex

Quote from: HrDok...zach..I try to solve otherwise... :cry:

i've done the fuzz fu*k troy...my personal re-interpretation...of your fuzz factory...it sounds great!

12 posts and already you're a genius?  thanks for being so kind.

the 10k was supposed to be a 10M.  and the transistor was backwards.  source always to ground with an n-channel mosfet (or any n-channel fet for that matter.)

and next time you see my girlfriend, a smile and a nod is in order, capeesh?  8^)

stm

Quote from: ALstm - now that's some thinkin'. Great little circuit - I can think of about a million things to do with that. Thanks for the info. Finger contact switch - I've seen those used in other areas. The panel would need to be separated from the box so you don't ground out - or would it? Would something like that introduce any noise into a circuit?  :?

Place a chromed or stainless steel bolt through a plastic insulating bushing, similar to the plastic pieces used for mounting TO-220 devices, but larger. Then attach a wire that may be kept in place by the nut, and connect to the input of the circuit.

This circuit shouldn't introduce any noise. The principle is the mains "hum" you introduce when touching the input plate. Similar to when you touch the tip of the guitar cable without touching the sleeve--the amp goes mad!. Of course a MOSFET at the output instead of a bipolar transistor would be great for audio usage. The output transistor should drive a JFET or MOSFET, depending on the polarity of the output (i.e. if the transistor is active with or without the finger touching the plate).

I always arrive late when key schems are disclosed. Not that I intend to copy it or take advantage of it, but I'm always eager to see how things are done for educational purposes. Good for Zach it was taken down rapidly.

Regards,

STM

Dragonfly

Quote from: zachary vex
Quote from: HrDok...zach..I try to solve otherwise... :cry:

12 posts and already you're a genius?  thanks for being so kind.

the 10k was supposed to be a 10M.  and the transistor was backwards.  source always to ground with an n-channel mosfet (or any n-channel fet for that matter.)

and next time you see my girlfriend, a smile and a nod is in order, capeesh?  8^)

Zac...

you are a gentleman and a scholar !  :)

Andy

RDV

...now about those nekkid pictures!

:twisted:

RDV

stm

This is a simpler version of a touch sensitive switch (or mute device, depending how you wire it). Requires a Mosfet, a cap and a resistor only.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=22kv2u

The principle of operation here is the conductance of your finger will let a small current flow which should produce several volts across R1, being enough to turn on the Mosfet. Increase the value of C1 if a softer action is desired. Don't use electrolytic or tantalum caps, since leakege would be too high.

This circuit is only sensitive to *finger touch* only, not proximity. Glove usage not recommended!

Now this takes minimum space and uses readily available components. Two bolts mounted isolated from the box may be used as contact plates.

Regards,

STM

HrD

thx Zack!
i'm gonna applie your suggest as soon..as i can...i want to play SHO with my les paul....and my telecaster.

now i'm gonna finish my Loved Stone - FIshball...another personale re-interpretation ...(LOvetone - meatball)

Hey ZaCh....IO CAPISCO...e Tu  Capisci?   :D
www.francescoaccardi.com

moisho

Quote from: stmThis is a simpler version of a touch sensitive switch (or mute device, depending how you wire it). Requires a Mosfet, a cap and a resistor only.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=22kv2u

The principle of operation here is the conductance of your finger will let a small current flow which should produce several volts across R1, being enough to turn on the Mosfet. Increase the value of C1 if a softer action is desired. Don't use electrolytic or tantalum caps, since leakege would be too high.

This circuit is only sensitive to *finger touch* only, not proximity. Glove usage not recommended!

Now this takes minimum space and uses readily available components. Two bolts mounted isolated from the box may be used as contact plates.

Regards,

STM

Hi STM... I can't see the picture of the schematic...
Could you re-post it.  I would use this kind of switch.

puretube

stm (Sebastian) has taken a longer "holiday" from the forum...

moisho

uuuups... Does anyone have the schematic???

spudulike