Has anyone seen the prices on the Behringer pedals?

Started by aron, March 11, 2005, 08:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giaime

Yeah, we already talked about the Behringer new pedals in the OT section of this forum.

Roland/Boss is right: they are quite identical to the originals, but I can't see why it isn't a fair competition. Boss product are still made of metal, so they are intended for more professional use. And let's just imagine how the jacks and switches on Behringer things will hold up after a gig or two...

I also believe that's a fair competition because of the Boss distribution system: here in Italy, for a pedal that costs 50$ in the US, we pay 200euros! That's more or less 250$... Boss really screwed me up!

So welcome Behringer! I gotta have the wah (to just use it) and the Big Muff (to make a Ge Fuzzface out of it)

puretube

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/smb_suche.html?sn=213cbd88f6ad141dc1431548b64911d5&FOLLOW=1&SUCHBEGRIFF=boss&HERSTELLER=&PREIS1=&PREIS2=&ABTEILUNG=&iwid=1&PAGE=1&ABTEILUNG=GIEF

they sell europewide - you can also go to www.thomann.de , and click on the Italian flag and keep clicking...

(though I have to admit, that some people claim, that Th*mann has caused the closing of a lot of small stores,
I gotta admit to sometimes love to visit there... 25 min. away...)

javacody

I think its obvious that Behringer stuff isn't meant for stage use. If you are in a gigging band, you can probably afford boss, electro harmonix, and ibanez pedals, so buy em.  :)

There is a growing divide (in the US at least) between the haves and have nots, and the middle class is shrinking. It's nice to see a manufacturer aiming for the poor, huddled masses.  ;) Boss is probably kicking themselves for not doing it first. LOL

Fret Wire

Quote from: javacody
It's nice to see a manufacturer aiming for the poor, huddled masses.  ;) Boss is probably kicking themselves for not doing it first. LOL

Boss did it in the late seventies. Then, several other cheaply priced import pedals started showing up, and MXR couldn't stay competitive, and went under. MXR was an hour away from me.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Rodgre

How come no one has mentioned the insanely cheap plastic (and now discontinued?) Danelectro as well as Arion pedals?

These dirt cheap pedals have been around a while. Maybe they're not AS cheap as the Behringer stuff, but I know many a pro guitar player who uses a Dano Tunamelt tremolo or an Arion chorus in the rig.

Roger

Mark Hammer

While aluminum cases automatically provide shielding, plastic does not PRECLUDE adequate shielding.  My MXR Commande series Flanger in a plastic box is no more susceptible to the flourescent lights in my build area than my Washburn chorus in an aluminum box.  Layout has a lot to do with it, and pieces of shim used as ground planes can be very helpful.  I use them in the pedals I make with plastic boxes myself.

As for roadworthiness, there are some seriously impact resistant plastics these days that do silly little things like protect goalies' testicles or police officers' lives.  Moreover, a well-designed box can have strategically placed internal supports to help out defending against overenthusiatic bandmates with big feet in big boots and too much coffee.  I for one would love to have the finish on my painted pedals last as long as tinted plastic.

Is it possible to produce such pedals at this price without exploiting someone somewhere?  I don't know, but my guess is someone is either paid poorly in the process or the intent is to make a few pennies per pedal and sell millions of them.  On the other hand, using molded tinted shells instead of paying for metal boxes, machining, and painting can shave a whole lot off the production price of a pedal, as Danelectro has clearly shown.

Incidentally, check out the "Vintage Phaser".  Dennis Houlihan from Roland and Mike Matthews just might have something to discuss over lunch with their lawyers!

Ge_Whiz

FYI, I bought an AXL chorus pedal yesterday for £30. It comes in a die-cast metal enclosure, works fine and sounds great.

Connoisseur of Distortion

i have some plastic danelectro effects, and i am perfectly content mashing them with my digitech tank pedals. They really can place their supports well. (Black Coffee of mine was recently hit by falling speaker cabinet. works fine)

Ed G.

If you want to get a cheap effect, then I'd go for it, but if you intend to buy one of these units to mod, I'd be surpised if it's not all surface-mount components.

puretube

my guess: 1 SMD with 96 tiny pins...

(maybe in-situ programmable for modders?)

(or rather the pedals, that`ll never be cloned?)

Giaime

No, I don't think they're SMD. SMD making in China is not economical: they're still full of old machinery and old production lines that work only with normal mounting componetns. I think they are cheap for the quality of the pedal, not for a particular technique (other than the plastic boxes).

Probably their price is a sum of:
- surplus components probably from Behringer itself;
- plastic case;
- cheap jacks/pots/switches;
- and probably the exploitation of workers.

puretube

akozols

Are they circuit copies of the Boss stuff or are they moddlers that are programed for that sound?   I have an X V-amp that has models of a Tube Screamer and a Rat, but they are just modeled versions of them.

BTW, I have both the V-amp and X V-Amp and am ditching them because of the 5ms delay between what you play and what you hear.

Al

Giaime

Quote from: akozolsAre they circuit copies of the Boss stuff or are they moddlers that are programed for that sound?   I have an X V-amp that has models of a Tube Screamer and a Rat, but they are just modeled versions of them.

No: their stompboxes (most of them) are actually analog things, which means that they must have copied the circuitry (at least the actual sound-making one, not the switching) or copied the sound with different circuitry. For delays and reverbs, you can't go much further. These are the delay chips and these you must use.

But for analog distortions, I don't know. I think that in general the circuit looks similar, maybe little component changes (like model of the opamp).
For the Wah, for example, I suspect the circuitry is different from the standard Vox: they probably moved to a circuit that doesn't need an expensive inductor, just an opamp as an active filter.
The V-amp series is another thing: they are a computer programmed to simulate sounds.

rocket

I don't think for the chinese workers it makes any differnece what the products cost for the enduser.

do you really think that works glueing together NIKEs earn more than Behringer's?

Giaime

Quote from: rocketdo you really think that works glueing together NIKEs earn more than Behringer's?

Or building Boss Pedals?   8)

StephenGiles

I don't think we are comparing like with like here. Isn't the cost of living comparably lower than the USA and ultra expensive England? So you would expect lower minimum wages - and they are probably very happy thankyou very much, so there is little to be gained by complaining on their behalf. ...........back to the ADA STD1!!!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Quackzed

the boxes are metal... ;D and boards are tiny smd ... :-[   and the switches LOOK like carling types but are just spring loaded 'button' that actuates a small boss type switch... :-[ pots are surface mount... :-\ as are jacks and ps jack..
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

choklitlove

my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.