Has anyone seen the prices on the Behringer pedals?

Started by aron, March 11, 2005, 08:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper1

Deric®

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ambulancevoice

e178453

Well shucks, may as well wade in here.  A co-worker who plays regular weekend gigs tried out my Behringer compressor, said it was a usable effect for $20.
Figure it's good enough for me, a basement banger.  After all, I play an "S101" chinese made guitar that is made to look like a strat.  Also have an Ibanez guitar and they have been SUED for their copies, for goodness sake.
I am going to buy the vibrato pedal as soon as it comes out, I think next month.
scott 

ambulancevoice

fantomass

Hey stephen here in Buenos Aires audio stuff is generally 2 to 4 times expensier than USA prices, it has little to do with taxes and more about greedy sellers.
But the Behringer pedals are in the 45 to 60 dollars range.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Giaime on March 14, 2005, 07:40:20 AM
No, I don't think they're SMD. SMD making in China is not economical: they're still full of old machinery and old production lines that work only with normal mounting componetns.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how those Chinese make i-pods with thru hole components :icon_biggrin:
Seriously, the bulk of mainland Chinese manufacturing is surface mount, and has been for years.
The bulk of USA manufacturing is - closed down.

R.G.

There is an obscure document hidden at http://www.geofex.com called the "Guitar Effects FAQ" which has something to say about manufactured effects prices versus DIY. The document is listed as Version 3.20, 20 May 2000.

Isn't it cheaper to make my own?
No.

It is NOT usually cheaper to build something that is not a "vintage" item.

If you want to tinker and play around with building effects because you like it, go ahead. However, if you're after a vintage effect, the prices may be so outrageous for re-creations or originals that you can duplicate it for a song. (sorry, I had to...)

If you want a few effects and think it is cheaper to build your own, think long and hard about it. The economies of scale being what they are, the commercial companies can produce a finished effect and sell it at retail for less than your cost of parts. Common semiconductors are from three to ten times cheaper in thousand unit lots than in ones and twos. Finished, painted, lettered boxes to put this stuff in are ten to fifty times cheaper for a manufacturer to make than for you to do.

I understand that this is unchanged from the first version of that document. I suspect not many people have read it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

black mariah

Quote from: R.G. on March 18, 2007, 11:52:14 PM
I suspect not many people have read it.

More like not many people have understood it. I'll never figure out why buying a $35 pedal from Behringer is BAD and EEEEEEVIL and should be frowned upon whereas a boutique version of the same pedal at $150 is JUST FINE to purchase... even though they're 99% the same sound in the end.

::)

Simon Owen

Just recently finished working for a large contract manufacturer and have been to Shenzhen twice in the last year.
I am a test development engineer and my opposite chinese equivalent got paid a tenth of my salary.
The operators on the line were only paid £600 pound a year.
The factory was a really nice place to work everybody was happy and enthusiastic.  Almost all the staff lived in on site dorms as most were from villages across China.
If it sounds too good to be true in reality it is.  The Chinese business modal is to say yes to everything and worry about whether they can do it after the customer has signed the deal hence the large amount of western engineers supporting there manufacturing.
Next time your factory closes and moves to China be happy in the knowledge that some corparate top dog has been swigging Tsing Tao in some karaoke bar draped with hostesses signing your job away.
Rant over, remember you get what you pay for.
The only difference between DIY and boutique is your time.

d95err

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

thanx for the utube link, d95err!
I guess that's why I don't travel - everywhere is exactly as I imagine it would be!
You know, they had factory villages in England, Germany, in the mid 19th century..
From an economic history perspective, the thing to remember is that R&D always follows the manufacturing process.

moosapotamus

Those videos are pretty interesting. Thanks for posting the link.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Mark Hammer

Quote from: d95err on March 19, 2007, 06:21:53 AM
Wanna know what the Behringer factory ("Behringer City") looks like?

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/behringer.html
Fascinating.  Absolutely fascinating.  An extremely thoughtful tour and commentary, and a wonderful glimpse into the state of business in and with the new China.

squidsquad

Way cool video...thanks!  Even when not pedal building....nuggets like that keep me lurking...woof!

calculating_infinity

Very cool video.  Found it interesting.  Thanks!

WGTP

So when am I going to be able to get my $25 plastic Expandora?   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

MartyMart

Quote from: WGTP on March 19, 2007, 04:59:59 PM

You're a naughty Boy  !!!  :icon_wink:

I loved those video clips, great commentary too, which seemed quite "balanced" in it's content.
I wonder how many of us would go and work/live somewhere like that for that kind of pay though !!
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

StephenGiles

Quote from: fantomass on March 18, 2007, 05:43:56 PM
Hey stephen here in Buenos Aires audio stuff is generally 2 to 4 times expensier than USA prices, it has little to do with taxes and more about greedy sellers.
But the Behringer pedals are in the 45 to 60 dollars range.

Yes, I noticed that when we last visited BA in 2005. There used to be a large musical instrument shop in either Lavalle or Florida, is it still there?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Quote from: MartyMart on March 20, 2007, 05:12:45 AM
Quote from: WGTP on March 19, 2007, 04:59:59 PM

You're a naughty Boy  !!!  :icon_wink:

I loved those video clips, great commentary too, which seemed quite "balanced" in it's content.
I wonder how many of us would go and work/live somewhere like that for that kind of pay though !!

I have to say that the opening sequence in that video didn't look that different from one or two areas I've been through in the USA, Argentina and Ecuador - quite surprising!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".