simple distortions rule ;)

Started by lightningfingers, March 12, 2005, 06:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightningfingers

I built 3 in as many days, namely Joe's EZDrive, a BuzzBox, and now Tim Escobedo's "Tytewadd".

My EzDrive has erm...a few more parts than the original design (like a buffer and B*ss style flipflop switching):shock:
This thing sounds amazingly like a Tubescreamer, Very nice to drive an already overdriven valve amp.
Buzzbox-this is in an Altoids tin with no controls, gloriously nasty fuzz
As for the Tytewadd, pics to come soon, I wired this Point-to-Point on a 5 - way terminal strip (the kind you get in hand wired amps and original Rangemasters)Very Big sound for a very small design.
Big thanks to Tim Escobedo, Joe Davisson and home-wrecker.com for these cools designs 8)
U N D E F I N E D

MartyMart

Nice circuits eh ?
Sometimes simple things work the best and keep great "tone" !
Tube-reamer for instance too  :D

Regards from the "Frozen South"

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

I theorize...I hope not contradictory...and IMO..
 The fewest components used to achieve 'that' sound [say Fuzz or Octave or...] is almost invariably the best sounding.
 FF stands alone [for the most part] as 'the highly variable one' at guitar vol.
 Just  tuning a cct. seems to be better sounding to my ears...I use the tone controls of my amps to fine tune from there, don't actually use or have much tone control on Stompboxes...recent observations show that those circuits [with 'larger' TC's] kinda got 'kicked out', [Blackfire with TC is an exception], the rest of mine have fixed voicing or 1 voicing switch.
 Of course I'm 'wrong'...somehow...just seems to be the case in my case, that eliminating passive components [in the signal path] like TC's, and reducing the # of actives just seems to work 'better'...if it does 'that' as well as the circuit with the 'doodadds'...even if, as a general rule, fewer knobs  means less variable.
 When 'they' come up with a less complicated phazer or...[  ]...but for the time being it takes a multitude of components to make electronic phase shifts and echoes...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Eric H

Quote from: petemooreI theorize...I hope not contradictory...and IMO..
.recent observations show that those circuits [with 'larger' TC's] kinda got 'kicked out', [Blackfire with TC is an exception], the rest of mine have fixed voicing or 1 voicing switch.
Yeah,I like a switch for bass-voicing between two caps (bedroom/stage ?) and maybe a treble-cut control.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

lightningfingers

Tube Reamer, yes very good, better than the two "real" TS clones i've owned in previous years and I like it better than the TS clone I built too :D

While i'm on the subject of the Tytewadd, what exactly is that JFET doing? It looks like a weird regulator of sorts but i'm probably mistaken..

Quote from: MartyMartRegards from the "Frozen South"

Roll on Summer :roll:
U N D E F I N E D

Dragonfly

hey Lightning....

you should draw up a layout for your Tytewadd / terminal strip build....

just a thought,
 Andy

jmusser

I haven't built the Tytewadd yet, but it's sounding like I ought to. I have the easy Drive bagged up, and hopefully I can get my son interested in building that one. The sound sample sounds like Ian Anderson's rig on one of my Jethro Tull albums. The Buzz Box is just generally nasty and has enough buzz to be almost synth sounding. I've tried to get the word out about Tim's "Jinx" circuit. That one hasn't gotten much press, but it's a great sounding circuit. So far, the only thing I haven't had much success with of Tim's, is his Octup circuit. Built as is with my equipment, and just sounds like a whimpy OD. He has mentioned that it probably should have more gain going in, so I'll eventually build one of his single transistor ODs and put in front of it, to see if that will bring out the up octave that's supposed to be there. Generaly speaking, if Tim designed it, it's a great sounding circuit, and noise free.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Jaicen_solo

The JFET is just working as a current regulator. Stops the circuit from pulling any more current than is necessary.