"Shaftsbury Duo Fuzz" ?? Brian hello hello !

Started by MartyMart, March 22, 2005, 04:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I was just reading about this very, very rare fuzz from the early '70's made by "Rose Morris" in London.
Aparently used by "Steve Hackett" on "watcher of the skies" ( Genesis )
and offering a nice "octave" harmonic and smooth........ :D
Of course it's SERIOUSLY expensisve, if you can even find one, anyone know what makes it tick ? ..... schematic ? .....    :D
Mr Wenz......!

Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Dan N

It's a Super-Fuzz. Named Jax, Apollo, Companion, Univox, LRE, Mica Tone etc... One was called Shaftsbury. All the same circuit in the same enclosure. Univox was gray, the rest were black.

brian wenz

Alright already...Hello Hello!!!--
          Yep,  another example of the wonderfull Japenese fuzz madness.
Before I logged on to the forum I was messing around with my Kay Fuzz clone......cripes, I love these Shin Ei circuits!!
Hi Dan......whatta think of the correction to the Kay Fuzz circuit???  Have you tried it yet?
Hi Marty!!    Did you already build a Super Fuzz circuit??
Brian.

MartyMart

Thanks for the replies guy's !
This version is so rare that Bryan Adams tried to buy one for £800 !!!
and was refused  !!  :shock:
So its the "Super Fuzz" eh ?  I must try one/make a layout,  so I didn't hear one yet .... :cry:

Is it a cool sound ?

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Love that Super Fuzz...RDV's posted a buncha clips of it, definitely a fun playing OctaFuzzer.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dan N

Hi Brian!

No, have not tried it yet. My first thought was it would give a bigger sweep, but R.G. pegs it as a volume control. I'll try it tonight!

A really nice Indonesian guy on the HC forum (karamat8) has a Shaftsbury Dou Fuzz and took some photos. Here is the schematic pasted to his unit.

http://users.rio.com/senorris/junk/shaftesburyduofuzz_sch.jpg

As you can see, 100% small box Super-Fuzz!

brian wenz

Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello..............
   Hey Dan--Thanks for that link!  The more schematics the better...
 I keep forgetting that the Kay Fuzz never had a proper volume control [I added one on mine].  Seems strange for such a  'fuzzy" pedal.
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Marty Marty---
       YEAH...it's a great sounding fuzz!!    Build it at all costs!
Brian.

Ge_Whiz

I had the same thoughts as you when I saw the article in 'Guitar Buyer', Marty! RDVs clips sound good. SIX whole transistors, though!  :wink:

col

The schematic looks interesting but I can't make any of the detail out. Is there another scan of it available?
Col

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
   Any more Super Fuzz reports....................I've been messing with my Kay Fuzz clone and it's got me in a Shin Ei mood!
Brian.