bronx cheer build "report"

Started by rockthebass, March 27, 2005, 06:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockthebass

ive been working on this since last wednesday and because of all the holiday stuff going on i just finished it up today.  i ran into a few problems debugging it but finally realized i just had the negative and positive leads reversed on the output jack.  i think that messed something up though because it doesnt sound anything like an envelope filter in fact theres no effect at all... the hi/lo switch doesnt really work but the gain pot does.  i also had made a misconnection with the diodes and i now think that couldve destroyed 2 of my 3 diodes.  any ideas?

Hal

I had one on breadboard for a while - I thought it was a fuzz, I don't remember any envelope filter...

jmusser

You wouldn't perhaps be talking about the Phungnosis would you? I don't remember the Bronx Cheer having a high low switch, but I know for sure that the Phuncgnosis I built did. I know, because I didn't care for the "low" setting. If it switches off between two sets of LEDS ( I believe 1 or 3), then it's the Phungnosis. The Bronx Cheer wouldn't have an envelope follower, because it's a fuzz. A fuzz with an odd sounding fizz decay, but a fuzz all the same. The Phuncgnosis wiring is a little tricky, so it wouldn't surprise me if you have a miswire somewhere. Also, the flat part of the LED is the cathode. I can't remember if Tim shows the jack and switch wiring on that, but the same wiring that he shows on his other pedals will work.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

jmusser

Just checked it again. It does have a high low switch on it, that switches out cap values. It is a fuzz though. Go through a clean schematic with a highlighter, and check every connection. Be sure your diodes are oriented in the right direction. It's probably a miswire. It never happenes to me, but it sometimes happens to other people, I've heard :roll:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

rockthebass

man im an idiot.. i thought the bronx cheer was an envelope filter.  but its all good because i was planning on building a fuzz anyway.  i went through and checked everything and it was right so i searched every old electronic device in the house and found a suitable diode and switched one of the 2 out and it works great now.

moving on to the idiot wah now  :D

jmusser

Great! I was a little more confused than usual when you were describing it.  :shock: The phuncgnosis is a great circuit BTW. It has a lot of quack. It's not all that common to wreck components, but it does happen on occasion. Biggest part of the time (for me anyway), it's a miswire. I did have a 4070 chip go south on me while I was modding the Digital Octaver Fuzz, and since had a second one go bad too, so they must be ultra sensitive. I don't plan to play the circuit again, or put a chip back in the socket, until I have it boxed. I checked the other day, and I have built 25 circuits, and that is the first component I've had fail on me. I did have one other crap switch, that was internally shorted, and almost blew my battery up, but for the most part, it's been a miswire.