Boss DS-1 Mods

Started by nelson, March 26, 2005, 06:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Nice to see the forum retains its sense of humour :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Hal

I was gunna post a link to the Keeley mods page, but apparently he took them off too.  He used to have the exact specs for his DS-1 mods right on the web page. :-\

bryantbr

Nelson,
I purchased all the Indy mods //www.guitartone.net.  Go to the website and check out the sound clips for the DS-1 mods.  PM me with the one's you are interested in and I'll share them with you.
Benny

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

phillip

Buying Boss pedals isn't free, and neither is the amount of time that it took to trace out those hideously complicated things.  I bought two each of the SD-1 and DS-1 to generate 100% correct schematics.  Most of the SD-1 and DS-1 schematics on the internet contain errors...I haven't even seen a DS-1 schematic for the version with the BA728N and M5223AL ICs...there's only one part difference between those two models.  The BA728 model doesn't have R40, the 1K resistor that goes between +9V and pin 7 of the IC.

So let's do the math so far:
-2 Boss SD-1, $40 each, total $80
-2 Boss DS-1, $50 each, total $100
-Total $180

Then I took the pedals apart, scanned the solder side of the circuit board, made a component overlay of each and every component on the board, added part numbers and added part values.  Then I began tracing the pedals out from scratch, without relying on any existing schematic.  You can imagine how long it took to trace out the FET switching section alone, especially in the DS-1, which is more complicated than the SD-1.

Tracing out these pedals and drawing the schematics out first on paper took about 5 to 6 hours each, and then another couple of hours for each pedal to draw up very nice, numbered schematics in a professional schematic drawing program.

Some more math:
-Generating and drawing/editing 100% correct DS-1 schematic, about 8 hours
-Generating and drawing/editing  100% correct SD01 schematic, about 6 hours
-Total 14 hours (how much would a professional schematic drawer get paid for that much time?)

In these mods packs you're mostly paying for these schematics, which don't exist anywhere else, and also for the actual pedals themselves which were decidedly not free.  Anyone could come up with good mods for these pedals, but having numbered schematics that match the numbers on the circuit boards make life a whole lot easier.  Not only that, but I also include another schematic that shows the pedal after modifications, with the modified parts highlighted.  Most modification sheets don't include schematics, period.

I understand that getting something for nothing is always a priority, but unfortunately making these schematics was far from free.  But continue to enjoy all the other content at Fuzz Central, which is 100% free of charge, and for 4 years at that.

Phillip

Dragonfly

Quote from: TheBigMan
QuoteI just did a DS-1 mod. I went for:-
C1,C3, C5, C13 0.1uF
C2, C9 1uF
D4, D5 1N34A

Oi, that's mine Dragonfly!  I demand you pay me $1 million! :wink:
...feel free to take it out of the money you owe me !   .... :D......  just quotin' the thread, bro :)

Nah, do what you like with it.  Increasing the coupling caps like that gives better bass response and I much prefer the sound of the germanium diodes.  I'd also recommend changing the value of R11 to around 20K or so from 100K.  That'll give you much more range on the distortion control and compensate for the fact that the 1N34As actually clip harder and so there's more distortion available.  You'll lose a little bit of volume, but who ever runs their DS-1 at full bore?

Dragonfly

Quote from: phillipBuying Boss pedals isn't free, and neither is the amount of time that it took to trace out those hideously complicated things.  I bought two each of the SD-1 and DS-1 to generate 100% correct schematics.  Most of the SD-1 and DS-1 schematics on the internet contain errors...I haven't even seen a DS-1 schematic for the version with the BA728N and M5223AL ICs...there's only one part difference between those two models.  The BA728 model doesn't have R40, the 1K resistor that goes between +9V and pin 7 of the IC.

So let's do the math so far:
-2 Boss SD-1, $40 each, total $80
-2 Boss DS-1, $50 each, total $100
-Total $180

Then I took the pedals apart, scanned the solder side of the circuit board, made a component overlay of each and every component on the board, added part numbers and added part values.  Then I began tracing the pedals out from scratch, without relying on any existing schematic.  You can imagine how long it took to trace out the FET switching section alone, especially in the DS-1, which is more complicated than the SD-1.

Tracing out these pedals and drawing the schematics out first on paper took about 5 to 6 hours each, and then another couple of hours for each pedal to draw up very nice, numbered schematics in a professional schematic drawing program.

Some more math:
-Generating and drawing/editing 100% correct DS-1 schematic, about 8 hours
-Generating and drawing/editing  100% correct SD01 schematic, about 6 hours
-Total 14 hours (how much would a professional schematic drawer get paid for that much time?)

In these mods packs you're mostly paying for these schematics, which don't exist anywhere else, and also for the actual pedals themselves which were decidedly not free.  Anyone could come up with good mods for these pedals, but having numbered schematics that match the numbers on the circuit boards make life a whole lot easier.  Not only that, but I also include another schematic that shows the pedal after modifications, with the modified parts highlighted.  Most modification sheets don't include schematics, period.

I understand that getting something for nothing is always a priority, but unfortunately making these schematics was far from free.  But continue to enjoy all the other content at Fuzz Central, which is 100% free of charge, and for 4 years at that.

Phillip

i dont feel like you need to justify yourself Phillip...youve done more[/b] than your fair share for the DIY community.....

Andy

nelson

Phillip, having read through alot of your previous posts I have to agree with Dragonfly. however being a poor student myself, I cant really justify spending 8 bucks on something I can possibly get for free. I had no idea my post would open up such a can of worms. Thank you all for your help I will update you guys on my success/failure of doing the mods. Plus I am starting the Rebote 2 delay project on tonepad after being successful with their rat project as my first build. This is damn addictive.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

TheBigMan

Quote...feel free to take it out of the money you owe me ! .... ...... just quotin' the thread, bro  

Fair enough.  PM me your address and the outstanding balance of 1 kit-kat chunky will be on it's way forthwith.  :lol:

Dragonfly

Quote from: TheBigMan
Quote...feel free to take it out of the money you owe me ! .... ...... just quotin' the thread, bro  

Fair enough.  PM me your address and the outstanding balance of 1 kit-kat chunky will be on it's way forthwith.  :lol:

WOO HOO !!!!  I LOVE ME SOME KIT KAT !!!    :D

petemoore

I like the mod that = 13.5 ...ha the rest of the equation...lol... :lol:
 I picked up the 'ol DS-1 clone board from being de-boxed a little while ago, and stuck a Diode Compression Opamp in it.
 Now there's a nice 'mod'...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

guitar_199

But I paid Phillip the $8 that he asks....and paid the Indyguitarist for his too...both on the Boss DS-1.

I guess I look at it this way...... the mods above.......actually....weren't even for my unit.  But....they were close enought that........  with a hot bath and a couple of "Dos Equis" I was able to study their info..... trace the board on mine... and make the mods apply....which actually wasn't too far off.

I have to say I learned a lot.... and the learning that I did was in large part due to the ready info provided by Phillip and Indy....

So..... strictly my own opinion.... it was worth the money..... NOT just for the mod.... but for the education.

Michael P.

This is what I'd like to know: what parts of the SD-1 and DS-1 (am I the only one who gets them confused? :? )  shouldn't be modified? If that can be established, then everything else is an open playground, and everyone with a breadboard can experiment to his or her heart's content.

Hal

Right now I'm using the "keeley advised" 1 Si, one LED.  I like it.  

What do you think of Ge's in there?  Maybe I'll switch?  Is it a significant differance?

TheBigMan

Quote from: HalRight now I'm using the "keeley advised" 1 Si, one LED.  I like it.  

What do you think of Ge's in there?  Maybe I'll switch?  Is it a significant differance?

Huge difference.  The GEs clip much harder, so you get more distortion and less volume, but the distortion is much sweeter and more tube like.  It's tighter and less nasal than SIs, and less crunchy than LEDs.

wampcat1

Quote from: bryantbrNelson,
I purchased all the Indy mods //www.guitartone.net.  Go to the website and check out the sound clips for the DS-1 mods.  PM me with the one's you are interested in and I'll share them with you.
Benny

PLEASE DO NOT SHARE MY MODS WITH ANYONE, UNLESS PERMISSION IS GIVEN BY ME.

I expect the same courtesy offered to Zvex, AM, etc, and I have and still do gladly post free mods on here from time to time, as well as pm members with free mods or help.

Thanks,
Brian
http://www.guitartone.net/

Fret Wire

Quote from: nelsonI had no idea my post would open up such a can of worms.
It just did :evil:

Quote from: nelsonI cant really justify spending 8 bucks on something I can possibly get for free.
Quote from: nelson also wroteThanks, I see alot of references to fuzz central mods at one time they were free I would be interested to know what the fuzz central mods are.

Yep, has anyone got them saved on their hard drives?

I will strive on and anyone who wants to remain incognito and mail me the mods can do so @

I will contend though, once information is released to the public domain by the author it becomes free and charging for that information after it has been released into the public domain is fairly pointless as it is then freely available.

11 posts and you've pretty well defined what you're about: being a parasitic little leach with the "welfare mentality" that expects everything handed to him for free. Save the "poor student" crap, money's tight for everyone, it's not an excuse to steal or be unethical.

Btw, those Indy Guitarist mods you're trying to get free are from another formite here. Do you want to tell him you can't justify paying for his mods when you can steal them cheaper? Who else's stuff would you like handed to you for free: Puretube's, Mikeb's, Troubledtom's, Erik Miller's, Paul Perry's? All contributing regular's here who make a living from their hard work and inspiration  .

Quote from: nelsonPhillip, having read through alot of your previous posts I have to agree with Dragonfly
Bullshit!!

You either don't have a clue, or could care less what Phillip Bryant or anyone else has contributed. Free is obviously all you care about. And don't play coy word games with grown adults, you won't like how it ends. You claim to have lurked awhile first before registering. Did you miss the sense of community, helping, sharing of ideas, and decency that the large majority of the members have? All you apparently saw was free.... free.... free.... free. This forum has rules, and whether you argee with them or not, it's the way it is.

If you think I'm being unfairly heavy, too bad. You just joined the forum, and are openly looking to steal other's work without an ounce of shame.

Quote from: nelsonI just realised I chose the nick Nelson, its Arons surname aswell as mine, hope it doesnt cause confusion.
Not in a million years :roll:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

javacody

Wow, Fret Wire, that was really uncool.

These mods are freely available here. Put in 20 minutes on the internet and figure them out.

For what Phillip is selling, you are getting your money's worth. If you really want to learn though, do the research, trace your own pedal out, and maybe learn something. Or be dumb and happy and send off your 8$ to someone like Phillip, and in a few minutes have a great sounding pedal with the kinks worked out for you ahead of time. What exactly is the problem here? Isn't there room here for all of us?

I've been here a while, but I get tired of reading guys who've been on the board for a little while slamming new folks. It comes across as pretty harsh and unwelcoming.

Also, there is so much melodrama on this board most days. You guys need to start taking your hormone replacement therapy or something. ;)

Fret Wire

Quote from: javacody
I've been here a while, but I get tired of reading guys who've been on the board for a little while slamming new folks.

Really? You just accused Wampcat1 of threatening Torchy in another thread.Without an ounce of proof. And speaking of hormones, you did it in a rather bitch kinda way. You defend Phillip, but not Brian. So if it's about your dislike of Wampcat...fine. Be a man and say what you think about him.

QuoteThese mods are freely available here. Put in 20 minutes on the internet and figure them out.
Exactly, if you were thinking, and not trying to play out your dislike of Wampcat, you'd see that was my problem with the newcomer who'd rather just leach.

And if you're trying to insuate something about what I can and can't do ckt wise, pull out your tampon and just say it. I won't take my ball and go home.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bryantbr

Whoa!  Let’s calm.  What’s really bothering you?  Brian PM'd me.  I apologized (before I knew he also posted it here) but I'll apologize publicly here as well.  I didn’t consider the possible repercussions.  I never even considered posting the mods I purchased from Brian.  I didn't mean any harm.  I just wanted to help the guy out.  I think everyone is forgiven now let’s move on.  Again, I’m sorry.