For those who share mods from guitartone.net...

Started by wampcat1, March 27, 2005, 10:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

PLEASE DO NOT SHARE MY MODS WITH ANYONE, UNLESS PERMISSION IS GIVEN BY ME.

I expect the same courtesy offered to Zvex, AM, Barber, etc, and I have and still do gladly post free mods on here from time to time, as well as pm members with free mods or help.

This is in response to a thread where someone replied that they would email all of my mods to anyone who wanted them.

Brian
http://www.guitartone.net/

javacody

No offense Brian, but are these mods anything that a person couldn't find here in the archives for free or in one of the FAQ's?

Like for instance, I'll bet your TS9/7/5 mods feature things like swapping out opamps, diodes, caps, etc? That is all child's play for most of us here (in my opinion) and these are not highly guarded business secrets.

Are you expecting Aron to delete the details on these mods from the forum? Because they literally go back years. Are you expecting RG to remove his Tech of the Tube Screamer pedal so people have to by your stuff?

Frankly, what you are doing is NOT the same as what guys like Zach are doing. It's apples and oranges. I don't disrespect you for wanting to make a buck, but your comparison is like comparing Britny Spears to Bach. It's kind of a joke really. I would focus on the convenience of your kits and not the public domain mods that your kits include. They are most certainly not your intellectual property, unless you've got some secrets which no one here has ever heard of (which based on your marketing material, I highly doubt).

You're not the guy who was threatening Torchy, are you?

wampcat1

Quote from: javacodyNo offense Brian, but are these mods anything that a person couldn't find here in the archives for free or in one of the FAQ's?

Nope, totally different. I'll give you an example.

Do you remember the cs-3 mods I posted a while back? ( http://www.guitartone.net/zips/cs3-mods.pdf )
You won't find that mod ANYWHERE else except from me -- I don't even think Keeley or analogman do them last I heard.

This is just *one* of my mods, keep in mind I have mods for tons of pedals (complete list @ http://www.indyguitarist.com/pedalmods1.htm )

When people post my mods on messageboards (especially this one!!), it creates a ton of work for me, mainly email, and tech support.

The reason for this is because I provide tech support via phone and email, and if a person does one of my free mods, and has problems with it, I am forced to work for free to help them fix the problem, so it can be very time consuming, especially with the huge amount of traffic this site gets!!
:)

This IS, however, one of the main reasons for me to go to hardcopy book form ( www.cafepress.com/indyweb2 ), so it is harder for people to post my works elsewhere.

Also, I'm not sure what you are insinuting about ts mods -- there are only so many ways to skin a cat, after all. And realistically, my mods are made more for a person who wants a good sounding pedal cheap, and could care less about how an opamp works for example.

I realize that there are tons of people who enjoy tearing a pedal apart, and rebuilding it, but I'm not into tech -- I'm into tone. That's probably why my kits have been so popular, they aren't designed by someone with a desire to create a circuit that has never been thought of -- they are designed to take a $50 pedal, dump $5 in parts into it, and make it sound like a $300 boutique pedal.

Hope you see where I'm coming from. :)

Take care,
Brian

wampcat1

Oh, and I am NOT threatening torchy.

Take care,
Brian

javacody

I do see where your coming from and I agree, if you've come up with your own mods, then they are yours and should not be freely exchanged.

I think we are on the same page. Your service is really about convenience and not having to spend countless hours experimenting. You have known good values on paper with a picture that shows you exactly where to put the components. I'm not saying its' a bad product at all. :)

I know that there where times when I was starting out that a kit would have saved me hours of frustration.

Fret Wire

Quote from: torchyThe final straw was a threat of legal action. Apparently the rate at which I was doing layouts was too quick for someone, and as an example, sales of his Tubescreamer pcbs had "fallen thru the floor" once the layout was verified.

Quote from: JavacodyYou're not the guy who was threatening Torchy, are you?

Pretty heavy insinuation to make. Got any proof? Even though you've backed off, that is not right under any circumstances. Between this and the DS-1 thread you seem like you're having a tough time deciding what side of the fence you're on. Words are sometimes like bullets, hard to call back once they are out.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Peter Snowberg

Cody, Brian is a true effects brother.... He's one of the good guys. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

bryantbr

Yes he is.  I think this whole thing was my fault.  I think we are square now.  Apologies for getting everyone lathered up.

Peter,
can you squash this one?

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation