"W" Taper pots?

Started by any, March 20, 2013, 12:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

any

Hey,

In re-housing resurrecting my Digitech Multiplay 20/20 If found it uses 100k and 500k "W" taper pots.
Now, I since found out there's 20k "W" taper pots available for tube screamers, but haven't found any source for
other values in a "W" taper. (namely a 100k W and 500k W)

Apart from subbing for log/lin (and if so would lin be the better choice?) Do any of you know any source that has the
ubiquitous alpha 9mm in these values?

Kind Regards,
It's supposed to sound that way.

scratch

can't help you with what you are looking for, but I too would be interested in a source of W taper pots.

I've been looking around at some Parametric EQ circuits and a number of these use the W taper pots in the cut/boost section of the parametrics. the darn things are impossible to find!
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

EATyourGuitar

tayda, smallbear, mouser, digikey
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Kesh

Quote from: EATyourGuitar on March 20, 2013, 08:23:47 AM
tayda, smallbear, mouser, digikey
tayda and smallbear only do 20K ones. not checked the others

any

think I'm running out of places to check... seems like no one is carrying them?

Is anyone able to predict what the difference will be when subbed with a linear type?

Regeneration, Delay Time and Generation are all 100k W.
It's supposed to sound that way.

Keppy

W taper is reverse log up to the midpoint, but regular log after that. This means that most of the pot's rotation gives resistance values close to the middle. With a linear pot, the midpoint should sound the same, but as you turn the pot up or down you will approach the extreme values faster that with a W.

Many people have used a linear pot in place of the W20k TS tone pot for years. You'll be fine. It would be more of an issue if it was a wah pot or something like that.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley