Do i need a Di-box?

Started by tatems, April 09, 2005, 11:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatems

I've started to use my stompboxes with my saxophone. I do this by plugging a mic into my pedal and taking the output to an amp.

I was wondering if i was going to play at gigs with my saxophone plugged into my effects, should i use a di box or should i put XLR sockets on the side of my stompboxes?
It is I, Murdock the Mind Stealer

tatems

Cabezahead

I would go DI... all around easier to do - and if you ever change what pedal comes first in your chain - it's easy as pie - as opposed to swapping which one has the XLR.

-CH

niftydog

It's not just a case of installing an XLR socket. Balancing circuitry is required as well, or there's no point.

I have a friend doing exactly this, and may I recommend a pitch shifter... that is one funky sound! Tenor sax with pitch shifted harmonies!!!  :twisted:

What he does is a little more complex, but it results in a better set up:

Get yourself a small mixing desk with a few aux inputs and outputs. Run your sax mic into the desk and straight out an aux line. This allows you to boost the mic signal to something resembling a guitar signal.

Run the aux line through your effects and then back into an aux input (or even another input channel.) The mixing desk does the balancing (act!) for you and you won't require a DI box.

Trouble is you need to be real careful to set up the gain structure just right or else you'll end up with unwanted distortion and the sound guy will be pissed at you.

Another tip (to preserve the sanity of the sound guy)

Make sure you know the setup up back-to-front and that you can plug it in with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back. The sound guy will be even more pissed if you ask him to help you get it working!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

tatems

Awsome, thanks for that, i've got an alto and a baritone sax so its rather fun to play around with them.

Do you have a schematic for a pitch shifter or do you know where i can find one? I was playing around with a demo effects program on my computer and i love to put the saxophone through the pitch shifter especially in 9ths with itself.

And with the di-box, i think i'll just buy one to save myself from anoying the hell out of the sound guys, lol.  :)

niftydog

pitch shifters are intensely complex digital based effects. You would be insane to try to build one. Save your cash my friend!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

bwanasonic

I like the sound of wah with sax.

Kerry M

tatems

i'll have to get a few sound clips up with my sax running through my Idiot wah.

moosapotamus

Unless you are recording, I don't think impedance matching is a big concern for live situations. Who's really going to notice any signal loading in the room through the PA, anyway?

But, in the studio, I'd agree with niftydog. :wink:

The sax player in Four80East uses an envelope filter. Sounds way cool. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."