16mm vs. 24mm pots

Started by gnugear, April 16, 2005, 03:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnugear

Are the 16mm just the smaller size ... the kind that fit into stomp boxes better?

JimRayden

I've been thinking of that too. The only difference is the size of the body part. What's the point of the bigger ones then? They live longer?

-----------
Jimbo

phillip

Yep, the 16mm pots are just a smaller diameter that fit much better into smaller effects boxes like the Hammond 1590B.  I haven't had any problems with the Alpha 16mm pots whatsoever...and I've been using them exclusively for 2 years or so now.

Phillip

mojotron

I've used the 16mm and now using the 9mm Alpha pots for a long time - never a problem... I do have a few of the 24mm pots - I don't hear any difference. There are some 24mm pots with really long stems and sometimes you need that depending on the machanical design.

I wonder what other pots people use, I notice that Fulltone uses some pots that have like DIVA stamped on the back... maybe there is a better/chaper brand than Alpha?

But, I am very happy with the Alphas.

dosmun

I have heard that  the taper can vary a bit between the 2 sizes.

niftydog

from the deep dark recesses of my fairly unreliable memory;

24mm pots have more wipers than 16mm pots.

The wiper is the little spring loaded doovy that makes contact with the carbon resistance track. More wipers means more reliable contact, particularly over time, and probably a greater wattage rating.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

syzygy

Quote from: niftydogspring loaded doovy

Is that a technical term ?   :wink:

niftydog

of the most technical kind, absolutely!

Don't you know our electronics appliances are brimming with thing-a-majigs, do-hickeys, what-si-doovits and doovy-whackers?!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

soggybag

I'm curious about these 9mm pots. Do you have the mouser part number? I'd like to take a look at them. It could save some space inside a crowded box.

jasonober

12mm are nice as well
mouser #313-1210-100K linear
#313-1200-100K   log

mojotron

Quote from: soggybagI'm curious about these 9mm pots. Do you have the mouser part number? I'd like to take a look at them. It could save some space inside a crowded box.

I'm building a pedal in a 1590B enclosure that has 3 EQ 9mm pots and a saturation control also a 9mm pot, all pc mounted - between the 16mm pots and the stomp switch - to protect them.

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=339551&e_categoryid=319&e_pcodeid=03117
DataSheet:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/143130.pdf

These are more of a challenge to work with, mechanically, but they allow for a lot of flexability as to the space needed... I'm still perfecting the mechanicals, but this is definately the direction I'm going with using smaller enclosures. Plus, pc mounting things makes for fast wiring.

gnugear

What size are the fulltone pots?

phillip

Quote from: gnugearWhat size are the fulltone pots?
16mm, I believe

Phillip

gnugear

I'm going to order some 16mm and some 12mm just to check them out. I'm really curious about the 12mm pots now.