AHHHHH frustration!!! (CD4049UB)

Started by Phorhas, April 21, 2005, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

I can never seem to succeed in making a 4049 based drive work. I just wanted to share...
I'm so close to weeping!
Electron Pusher

puretube

MartyMart

Quote from: PhorhasI can never seem to succeed in making a 4049 based drive work. I just wanted to share...
I'm so close to weeping!

YEAH,  YOU AND ME BOTH !!
I've built 2 of "CA's" Tube sound fuzz's and neither has worked right !!!
Also Tims cmos drive just doesn't crunch either, the best I have from that
is a clean bass booster .....
:cry:

Marty ..... ????
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Phorhas

I tried both Anderton's fuzz and Way Huge's take, the Red Llama... nothin'... I did everything right... I just don't get it
Electron Pusher

MartyMart

Could it be that those CD4049UBE's are just WAY too sensitive and we have "upset" them personally in some way .... ?   :lol:

I've been told that "static" etc can screw 'em very easily.....?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

scratch

I've built one of CA's "Tube Fuzz" and it works great ...

I would suggest using a socket for the chip rather than soldering it directly. The 4049's are CMOS and are sensitive to static, and some soldering irons (i think the the ones with only a two AC wire cord) can generate static when they are on ...
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

Mark Hammer

I've built several myself, too, and never had a problem with the UBE types.

Hmm, could it be something in the water in Ottawa? :wink:

puretube

we got the same water over here...
(I know we haven`t built from the same circuits/layouts...)

Phorhas

Quote from: scratchI've built one of CA's "Tube Fuzz" and it works great ...

I would suggest using a socket for the chip rather than soldering it directly. The 4049's are CMOS and are sensitive to static, and some soldering irons (i think the the ones with only a two AC wire cord) can generate static when they are on ...

I bread boarded it, so socket is everything :)
Electron Pusher

B Tremblay

For the past two months, I've been tinkering  on my breadboard with a circuit that uses a 4049UBE.

I've had no problems at all.  I regularly get static electricity shocks while walking around the house, but the chip keeps on trucking.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

puretube

similar statics here...

seems like you guys are using some unconfirmed schems/layouts?

MartyMart

I've used the schem from Craigs book !!
Still only have a "full on fuzz" and no gain control ....??

Marty.

puretube

MartyB

My 2c also...at least three times over the past couple years I've tried to build from scratch Frank Clarke's 'Hot Harmonics'.  I've used three different cd40049ube's and have 10 new ones unused.  The layouts have all been my own so I figured that was the problem.   After studying that schem so much, I'm beginning to think it's something fussy about the chip.  I've never used anti-static gear (that'll be next) but I always socket the CMOS.  I was about to give up and try the Red Llama instead since it appears to be an easier build, but now I'll go bactk to the HH.

troubledtom

i've never had a problem w/ the UBE.
          sorry you're having a tuff go of it.  the first one i used was maybe
15 -18 yr's ago. never have had a dud , but yah use a socket for sure
and stuff the board and wire it up then put the IC in.
                   peace,
                        - tom :wink:

Greybeard

Never had any problems with Crag Andertons Tube sound fuzz. other than some 4049 like batteries for lunch. Always use the UBE chip too. :wink:

I'm working on a slightly different  pedal now that uses the 4049 as distortion generator but also has tone controls either 4 band or 3 band with parametric mids........... kinda like the 4 band better. Of course the tone stack needs to be driven with op amps or discrete. 4049 can't handle it. (I know there are a lot of these floating around, but not with this much tonal control)

IMHO the 4049 is the best at handling the distortion vs. dynamics equation, when it starts to break up it stays smooth, not fuzzy. Even better than a lot of tube circuits.

Greybeard

Ge_Whiz

It's been said before, but DO MAKE SURE that any unused CMOS gate inputs are tied to ground before you power up the circuit. 'Floating' CMOS gates oscillate, eat batteries, produce noise, and can burn up.

Greybeard

yes, very true, It is a rule of thumb when using these chips. some units still have exxcessive current draw even with this done.... goes back to dungeon....

Greybeard

WGTP

I built the TSF when it first came out, later converted it to F. Clarks Hot Harmonics (simple version) (wish I had known about it 20 years earlier) have a horribly hacked up perf board, tried using 4 stages and got oscillation, bought a new version of the chip, I do have it socketed and remove it for working on the board, reinstalled it backwards, and it has worked thru it all.   8)  

I wonder if the pin out is throwing folks off?   :shock:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Greybeard

For a CMOS chip they are pretty bullet proof..................... hmmmmm never did try shooting one tho'............... :wink:

Greybeard