EH black finger tube (optical) compressor schematic

Started by numpty, April 22, 2005, 08:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

numpty

Hi
 Does anybody know where I can get hold of the above?
 Thanks

Nasse

• SUPPORTER

cd

NOT HERE.

Lurk a little and read all the FAQs before posting!

numpty

Quote from: NasseNo

That has been discussed lately
I did a search but didn't find any refence to it
I have also just done another, and my post appeared but nothing
else connected too what i need
I suprised that this schematic isn't commonly available

Mark Hammer

Quote from: numpty

1) It is a fairly recent product release.  Regardless of what the company is, the more recent the product, the less likely there is to be technical information posted around.  You won't find a whole lot about recent MXR or Digitech pedals posted around either.

2) Tube-based devices tend to cost more.  Although tube-based devices can sometimes be simpler than solid-state ones, in terms of number of components, and although some folks are only too happy to reverse engineer things they have bought, generally speaking there is much less reverse engineering of things that cost people an arm and a leg to buy.

3) When it comes to pedals that might use costly or hard to get components, or assembly techniques/procedures that are hard to carry out, there is much less incentive for folks to reverse engineer.  Especially for the purposes of cloning.  In most such instances, trying to make a clone yourself may be a waste of time compared to simply buying a finished product.  That's one of the reasons why people are generally so free about tube amp information - by the time you buy all the parts separately you've spent more than just buying the damn amp.

4) Over the years, it has become accepted behaviour here that out of respect for some of the contributors whose livelihood depends on the security of their intellectual property, stuff doesn't get posted around willy nilly.  In some cases, the designers don't mind corresponding off-line, if they have time and don't feel they are feeding a hand which might bite them.  In other cases, things like legally binding nondisclosure agreements prohibit ANY discussion.  In most cases, a grace period of some length is understood as deserved by ALL designers/manufacturers so they can recoup the money they had to invest to bring the thing to market.  If protecting information helps to assure them the market they deserve, you will not find much in print or posted around.

These are but some of the many reasons why you will not find a schematic of this pedal just "floating around".  The exhaustion that many feel about discussing this subject is a reason why you have not had many/any replies.  Good to let sleeping dogs lie in this instance.

Consider the Weak Joe compressor that Steve Giles posted last week.  The unit it is based on has enjoyed very favourable comment, and Steve made it easy to make one yourself.

cd

Quote from: numpty

Because the designer (puretube) who reads/posts here doesn't want  it posted here.  Simple as that.

Nasse

Yeah, sorry I did not find correct words (did those ethic rules exist in faq or somewhere, I did not just find them, but whatever...)

Keeping things humble, polite and honest is perhaps the thing that keeps this forum going

I would like more if I could find Dod FX-80B schem...
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

No harm done by anyone.

With the very large number of schematics freely posted around, I imagine it is hard for many people starting up in the DIY realm to realize what is reasonable and what is off limits or simply unlikely to be found.  Given the large number of "classic" pedals that are either still in production or have been reissued/resurrected by clone companies, it becomes harder still for novices to have a clear sense of "That is old and no longer copyright protected and that is new".

We all learn eventually.  As long as everyone plays fair.

numpty

Ok point taken!
But I'm still interested in the concept of a simple  tube compressor that only uses a couple of 12ax7's with an optical isolator
are there any similar "non-contentious" schematics available anywhere ?
I already have a boss cs2, its ok considering its price but it doesn't sound right.
However, I enjoy building tube based equipment for some strange reason
and I am actually in the process of building a simple tube compressor, but it works on a different principle for a more subtle sound and probably won't be that effective .

Nasse

• SUPPORTER