Author Topic: Booster to distortion - how to pad the output?  (Read 4026 times)

6x2

Booster to distortion - how to pad the output?
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:54:47 PM »
I know the booster into distortion mod has been discussed a lot earlier but I have  a slightly more specific question...

I've modded a booster with six germanium diodes (2 sets of three in series and parallel back to back) and it sounds right (it reminds me vaguely of a Coron Distrotion 10 my mate used to have), but the output volume is a bit too loud....

Now Aron posted some time ago about matching the volume levels of the booster part and distrotion part by sticking diodes in series and padding the output. How exactly do you do this pad? Just resistance or quoi?

Thanks already.

6x2

Khas Evets

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:54:53 PM »
Just to clarify, it sounds like you want to switch between the diodes and a slightly attenuated version of your booster. You could switch in a resistor in place of the diodes. I would experiment with a 100K trimmer to get the right value. The downside is you're limiting the maximum gain of the booster.

6x2

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 08:06:50 PM »
Yeah, of course! Not a bad suggestion...

I'll try something out tomorrow or so, thing is that so far I've not had a separate switch for the diodes - though that's what I'm planning on doing.  Could I stick the resistor directly on the switch lugs or am I totally off the mark here?

Hmm, I gotta get back to this after experimenting a bit with the settings. The diodes in series seem to keep the volume high enough for competing with the booster volume, but I really gotta stick the switch there to see the amount of volume mismatch...

BTW, I have another stupid question concerning trimpots:  How do I replace a fixed resistor with a trimpot? That damn thing has three lugs...  :? I know, it's a silly question but I didn't find any info on it nor could I figure it out by trial and error...

Thanks,

6x2

aron

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 08:34:18 PM »
Use one of the outer lugs and the middle lug. So outer lug to signal, middle lug (wiper) to ground.

This will do it.

Good luck! Someone around here was telling me how good the Coron distortion was.

6x2

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 06:46:28 AM »
Thanks!

I'll give it a shot, I'll let you know how it all works!

6x2