$ for advice: Big Muff true bypass / true destruction

Started by mcjustinmc, April 25, 2005, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjustinmc

Okay, so maybe this isn't so funny. I am a total novice with electronics, I do have the power to wield a soldering gun, but am unable to read schematics. I had an NYC reissue Big Muff PI true-bypassed a couple of years ago, and in an attempt to re-house it, I cut a bunch of wires. I don't know that this thing was ever wired correctly. Can anyone offer suggestions?

THANK YOU,
MCJUSTINMC
MC "this is not improving my playing" JUSTIN

mrsage

I would recommend doing a lot of reading on www.generalguitargadgets.com

That's what I did when I re-housed my green Russian Muff ( http://www.voxblues.com/guitar/muff/ ). I had no idea what I was doing, but once you learn how switches work and how to figure out the Board In and Board Out wires, you're golden.

I don't have a USA muff to help you out, but I can tell you that you'll learn a whole lot more if you learn what the switches and wires do than if you simply follow a diagram!

That was my first project, and I've built a lot of pedals since then.

mcjustinmc

If anyone can tell me how to hook this thing up, I'll send you $15 via Paypal. I gotta get this muff back together!
MC "this is not improving my playing" JUSTIN

NaBo

Aw man, no... it ain't like that here (at least I hope not).  I'll help you out, no charge (obviously!)

Have you seen this wiring diagram? http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/bmplo2.gif

If you have, and you still need help (the pcb is likely a bit different), pm me, and i'll have you mail me a picture of the component and trace sides of your board.  Then i'll just draw on them what connects to what, and explain why. Hopefully teaching you something along the way.  Trust me, after wiring up one or two, you won't even need a diagram.  Once you understand what's going on and how the switch works, it's a piece of cake.

AL

Hey Hey HEY !!! Stop with the $$$$ already. Just post and you'll probably get the answer you're looking for.  People here are really helpful - we don't want your money - a thank you will suffice.  :D

It doesn't look like you're missing too much on your BM - just a few wires off. Follow the advice on the other posts and also check in the beginners section of this forum for wiring of 3PDT.

My BM is out on loan so I can't look at the guts but there's not too many wires cut. It appears that there is still a piece of red wire attached to the board (problem solved on that one). That leaves one wire to the input jack (check the 3PDT wiring diagram). So now you've got 3 wires left. Two of those wires are already hooked up to the board so see what component they attach to and find it on the schematic then attach it to the switch.

I'm not sure what that configuration is attached to the board - with the capacitor. Is that a diode?

AL

Tigrar

lol! Did U just break it out?

Well it is easy to get it together.
But U must be able to read schematics.

I dono how I could explain if U cant...

Or ask a friend able to read schematics.

Good luck

Greez
Tigrar

Mark Hammer

Easy to fix, and I'm sure others here will help.

But let this be a lesson to you kids out there. TAKE THE PICTURE BEFORE YOU DO THE DISSASSEMLING AND CHANCES ARE YOU WON'T HAVE TO TAKE ONE AFTER. ;)

Mark Hammer