can the trannies and ic's be subbed. i have all the rest of
the parts and was thinking of making a stereo unit. i almost
always play in stereo. i could use a 1 day distraction from
building my devices :roll: [need a break]
          thanx,
                - tom

troubledtom

does, that mean no? :?
i understand.......................................
           -tt

Torchy

Sorry, I dont check in here very often these days ... reasons reasons.

But, for the dual op-amp I tried a 4458 and a TL072 ok. For the JFETs I tried J201 (not so pronounced effect, a bit clipped) 2N3819 (awful) BF245B (not bad) but the 2N5457 worked best.  :wink:

bluesdevil

Quote from: TorchySorry, I dont check in here very often these days ... reasons reasons.

But, for the dual op-amp I tried a 4458 and a TL072 ok. For the JFETs I tried J201 (not so pronounced effect, a bit clipped) 2N3819 (awful) BF245B (not bad) but the 2N5457 worked best.  :wink:

Do you mean 2N5458? Because I think that is what's on your layout..... wanna make sure before I order a batch of the wrong ones!!! REALLY looking forward to tackling this one, maybe I won't need to do the EasyVibe after all.
Thanks for doing this one up stripboard style.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

smccusker

Guitar -> Amp

barret77

sound sample anyone (from the univibed version mod) ?  :)

Torchy

Sorry, yes, typo, old-fingers-and-keyboard syndrome  :wink:

I think you could use the 5458's as well mind you  :oops:

smccusker

Actually, I have a couple of questions;
-Can any type of 5v1 zener diode be used in the circuit? My local store has a couple of different types: 1N751A, 1N5231B, 1N4733. the first two have a 400mw rating and the last one has a 1w rating.
-I can only find an NE5532P for the op-amp I assume this is the same thing, but can anyone verify that?
-After reading the faq and the link in this thread, I still dont really 'get' biasing the transistors, could someone please explain it to me in a simpler way?
Guitar -> Amp

tungngruv

Torchy and Marty..... after building this over Saturday and Sunday, I actually played it for a couple hours tonight. Really amazing. I do have one question though, my rate LED pulses when the effect is on or bypassed. Is this normal or do I need to take a closer look at my assembly job? Other than that, it works and sounds perfect, despite still not matching the trannies :lol:

robotboy

WOW! This looks and sounds awesome. Are the clips of a standard phase 45, or do they include the univibe mod? Either way, this is going to the top of my list of build projects. I have a couple of quick questions if anybody could help me out.

For the FET matching, the circuit will function with only 1 transistor socketed? Basically, it sounds like you just socket a FET and try to get it to phase along with the LED somewhere in the middle of the sweep on the bias pot?

Are S1A-A, S1A-P, S1B-A, and S1B-P all plugged into a single DPDT?

The mixer lets you dial in pitch-shifting, vibrato or chorusing? Does anybody have any more clips? I've been waiting for the right project worthy of that stripboard that's been sitting in my toolbox!

tungngruv

QuoteAre S1A-A, S1A-P, S1B-A, and S1B-P all plugged into a single DPDT?
Yes
QuoteFor the FET matching, the circuit will function with only 1 transistor socketed? Basically, it sounds like you just socket a FET and try to get it to phase along with the LED somewhere in the middle of the sweep on the bias pot?

I bought 10 from Small Bear just so I could play with a few to get a good match. After socketing the first two I grabbed, it worked fine. The bias control seems to make a difference on mine between all off and 12:00.

dxm1

Quote from: tungngruvTorchy and Marty..... after building this over Saturday and Sunday, I actually played it for a couple hours tonight. Really amazing. I do have one question though, my rate LED pulses when the effect is on or bypassed. Is this normal or do I need to take a closer look at my assembly job?

Why not switch the LED ground with your 3PDT bypass switch? It would then act as your "effect on" indicator.

tungngruv

It's OK, I kind of like the way it is now and it is correct (I only use the DPDT, no LED's) (( with the stuff I'm building, you know when you turn it on)) :lol:

RCZ53

I completed the project and it sounds good. A couple of notes, the mix control seems to only bring in the effected signal some where around the middle of the pots rotation (I used a 25k). Also the bias only works at full off (counterclockwise) Is this normal? I sorted through twelve 5458's to find two pair that sounded good.
It is a cool sound, very quiet, subtle effect. If there is anything to be done I would like to have a bit more intensity. Thanks Torchy, JC and all concerned for a well thought and coherent layout and design.
best regards,
Roger

blues123

Hi Torchy,

This sounds great.
Sorry if i am being a bit thick, but where is the vero/strip board layout?

Thanks in advance

dr

....Torchy-I'm not able to get the picture to open-is there something I need to do?.....thanks!..............dr

dr

....Torchy-I'm not able to get the picture to open-is there something I need to do?.....thanks!..............dr

pbrommer

Torchy left awhile ago. PM me if you want the layout. Or email me at pbrommer1 AT hotmail DOT com (replace at with @ and dot with . )

Patrick
  • SUPPORTER

blues123

Thanks Torchy, xshredx, pbrommer and all for replying.

This looks like a must do project.

Thanks again