completely off-topic: world's smallest hi-fi tube amplifier

Started by zachary vex, May 01, 2005, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

or at least i think it is.  i'm nearly ready to go into production, and i think i'll be releasing it before June, which was my deadline.  1 watt per channel, stereo hi-fi tube amp.

Kilby

radio

I like the sober design stylish and compact

almost like I-pods!

What price-target if I m not asking to early??

Gruss Jimini
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

zachary vex

it'll be ridiculously expensive... the stores will probably sell them for about $550.  but what the hey, they're completely hand-made, whereas iPods go for $399 and are mass-produced by a major corporation...

radio

Will the launch-date be valuable in Europe too??

Thanks for your responses

Greetings
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

zachary vex

i imagine there will be interest from my European dealers as well.  i haven't discussed it with any of them.  at the beginning, only US dealers will have them.

radio

Thanks

that s great news before sleep,helps dreaming :D

Good night all together

Sleep well!
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Johnny G

its official, Mr Z rocks the big sexyness. tho id much rather get a nano before i get one of those
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

ryanscissorhands

Shiny chromish box -- awesome.

Your trademark ethed into acrylic (or glass?) -- awesome.

Good work.

troubledtom

phucking cool Z.
     you can send me my free test unit ,whenever you're ready! 8)
              looks great!
                  the Zman striketh.
                        peace,
                             - tom

zachary vex

hand-sanded, hand-polished aluminum, lacquered to stop oxidation.  

laser-etched acrylic, hand-sanded and fire-polished with a Hydrogen/Oxygen flame.

petemoore

Nice things come in small packages ... If this is true then it's pretty darn nice... :wink:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

putrefusion

That looks really cool!  However, I am curious to know how practical a 1 watt hifi amp is?  What are the applications of it?
I'm Elmore James, bitch!

zachary vex

there's quite a bit of volume in that first watt.  you can drive bookshelf (or full-sized!) speakers to room-filling volume with one watt, and it takes no more table space than your iPod, and it's just as sexy!

boogielicious

Is that Plexiglass bullet-proof?  Looks awsome!

Scott

zachary vex

no, heh... one-inch Lexan is bullet-proof, but it scratches really easily.  Acrylic is much more scratch-resistant but 3/8" thickness might stop a bee-bee.  8^)

sean k

Hey My Vex,thats well cool,I use an old danish phillips for my studio amp that has a coupla EL95's and some 12Ax7's and 5 watts is way loud enough if one has efficient speakers in the low to high 90's.But I've also got an old radio,unsure of the brand,that basically uses EL86's which is a triode and an output pentode in one bottle and I'm supposing thats similar to what your using but in a mini tube.I'm going to eventually build a coupla stereo class A amps from what I have but it won't be quite as small as your own but kinda close if I put the power supply somewheres else.My OT's are about that size but uncovered by bells so I'll be making something up in sculpy to take down to be cast in pewter and either copper or chrome coated.Thanks for the inpiration to get started on my own thing in the same vein.Also I'm looking forward to a coming issue of silicon chip magazine out of Australia when they will publish schematics on a tube amp,to speakers,that purports to do away with the output transformers which could be quite useful.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

Hal

zachary vex

wow, silicon audio is going to publish schematics for a hobbiest circlotron?   fun!

the 6021W tubes i use have two identical triodes per envelope.  they're something like 12AT7s.

zachary vex

Quote from: Halpaint it white and charge twice as much ;)

i actually had white plastic covers designed for the transformers but i didn't like the look so i went with all shiny.  i could easily paint the base white, or use a silver bottom plate in conjunction with a white enclosure.  or i could have Jason mask off half of the box so it's white on the top and silver on the bottom!  8^)