completely off-topic: world's smallest hi-fi tube amplifier

Started by zachary vex, May 01, 2005, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

1) Right purdy it is.  Certain to make Christmas gift suggestion lists this year.

2) Maybe I worry too much, but if you haven't done so already, give a few moments thought to security options for retailers.  You can stick a $500 pedal in a display case and take it out for those who want to noodle on it while you keep an eye on them.  The nuisance of setting up an amp (speaker connections, signal inputs, power supply) is such that I suspect most retailers will want to leave it set up to avoid having to go through the hassle of wiring each time they take it out of the display case.  While it may be a nuisance to set it up, it is pretty damn easy to take a pair of end nippers, and pocket the thing while the sales person's back is turned.  The diminuitive size not only adds to its sexiness, but to its, er, "portability".  I'd hate to see that much blood and sweat on your part turn into problems with reluctant dealers.  As noted, though, I may just worry too much.

If this DOES give you pause for thought, the suggestion someone else had here long ago for using bicycle chain links might make an attractive option.  Chassis bolts go through the 1590B backplate, through the hole in the chain link and into the chassis.  Bolt goes through the other end of the chain link into a secure base, like a nice hunk of oiled hardwood (suitable for high end audio stores with dim lighting), that makes nimble fingers have to think twice.

jimbob

I want one. ANy way i can get it autographed when i buy one..?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

zachary vex

i autograph all of the pedals and amps i make except the vexter fuzz factories, which have a silkscreened autograph.  8^)

jrc4558

markusw

Quote from: zachary vexhand-sanded, hand-polished aluminum, lacquered to stop oxidation.

:o Wow. May I ask what kind of laquer you use?  Looks great!!!

Markus

puretube

8)

be sure to engrave serial numbers in `em...
(for the collectors/e-bayers)

MartyMart

That looks "Gorgeous" Zachary    :)

Beautiful work and I love the fact that the name came from this forum !
RDV, wasn't it ?
Did Apple give a "no-no" to the Ipod dock connection, or did you drop
that idea to make it more flexible "input" wise ??

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

zachary vex

thanks for all the nice comments!

hmm.  i'm pretty sure i named it myself... in the January thread where people suggested names, i started that off by calling it the iMP.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?p=192548&highlight=makes+perfect+ipod+accessory#192548

but if someone remembers some other thread where we were throwing names around, be sure to point it out.  8^)

i decided to just go with a simple dual RCA input.  the iPod stands are available cheap from Mac, and you have to use the headphone output for the iMP anyway because you need a volume control (and possibly tone controls.)

zachary vex

Quote from: puretube8)

be sure to engrave serial numbers in `em...
(for the collectors/e-bayers)

i'll probably just paint on the serial numbers and finish dates like i do with the effects.

zachary vex

Quote from: markusw
Quote from: zachary vexhand-sanded, hand-polished aluminum, lacquered to stop oxidation.

:o Wow. May I ask what kind of laquer you use?  Looks great!!!

Markus

i honestly don't know!  the company that molds the enclosures for me does the hand-polishing and lacquering for me, and i don't know what brand of lacquer they use.  Jason drills the boxes and for the production units he'll be clear-coating them again with 2-part automotive epoxy too.

hilbi

hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

Prive

Awesome as ever!!!!

Is that your hand Z??? The first picture one.

I don't think.

How can you use your fingers to work in so little space?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

zachary vex

that's my mitt in all of them.  naturally, the circuit boards are assembled outside the box, and then slipped inside.

Phorhas

Z, you're a bl**dy genius!!!

(Not to mention, quite an artist)
Electron Pusher

MartyMart

Quote from: zachary vexthanks for all the nice comments!

hmm.  i'm pretty sure i named it myself... in the January thread where people suggested names, i started that off by calling it the iMP.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?p=192548&highlight=makes+perfect+ipod+accessory#192548

but if someone remembers some other thread where we were throwing names around, be sure to point it out.  8^)

i decided to just go with a simple dual RCA input.  the iPod stands are available cheap from Mac, and you have to use the headphone output for the iMP anyway because you need a volume control (and possibly tone controls.)

Aha !  sorry, I think that RDV posted a picture of an "IMP"  !!

Cool,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

puretube

don`t show me too much...  :lol:  
- I might come up with "pure2 monoblox" -  :P

ESPguitar

Quote from: PhorhasZ, you're a bl**dy genius!!!

(Not to mention, quite an artist)

:D
Awesome Vex..

When we we're at paint again, i may ask you a question..(?)

Have anyone of you heard of Monopol laquer?

Ask Magne at Godlyd.no if he want's to sell some these:D:D??

It had been cool to have one..

RB

WGTP

tttttttOOOOOOO cOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

Check out the high efficiency Line Arrays at Zalytron.com for speakers that don't need much power.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

puretube

Quote from: puretubedon`t show me too much...  :lol:  
- I might come up with "pure2 monoblox" -  :P

well - someone else finally did:

http://www.psiberaudio.com/iPod_3.htm

:shock: